- Park (castles)
- Architectural heritage
The Solvay Estate in La Hulpe, listed as "Exceptional cultural site in Wallonia", features part of the Sonian Forest and the Château de La Hulpe.
Go through the gate and follow the path this French-style castle, a gem dating back to 1842. The castle is spread out in a series of rooms, some small, others more majestic, thus creating a peaceful harmony.
A spot of history
Built for the Marquis Maximilien de Béthune as an elegant manor house on the outskirts of Brussels in the 1840s, the chateau stands on a hill overlooking a lake set in a park of mature trees which extends for more than 220 hectares. In 1893 the estate was bought by wealthy industrialist Ernest Solvay who redesigned the park and extensively remodelled the chateau from its original Flemish neo-renaissance style to a more classical appearance fronted by a French formal garden.
The rest of the estate was laid out in the English romantic style, with rhododendrons, azaleas and woodlands of a variety of trees, including massive redwoods and oak. A large lake was created with carefully planned alleyways and vantage points offering pleasing views through the woods. The entire property was donated to the regional government of Wallonia in 1968 on condition that it should be used for cultural purposes.
The former chateau farm is now an exhibition space and office for the foundation of the Belgian artist Folon. Today the numerous walking trails through the park are very popular with walkers, cyclists and families with young children.
Access and location
The estate, the perfect place for a walk and for relaxation, is open to the public. The castle itself cannot be visited. It can, however, be rented for private events, dinners, receptions, meetings, weddings and filming.
The park is open all year round: in winter from 8 am to 6 pm and in summer from 8 am to 9 pm.
- Free catering
- Air conditioning
- Training materials provided
- Car parking