- Industrial heritage
Take the family to the Bois du Cazier, a UNESCO listed mining site with 3 museums and kids-friendly activities. This remembrance place, immersed in nature, is in Marcinelle, in the province of Hainaut.
The mini miner booklet
Come and explore the mine of the Bois du Cazier by answering questions, solving riddles, using drawings as clues. Like the miners of yesteryear, you will need your booklet to enter the coal mine.
Kids can follow the path miners would have taken every single day: the lodge, the hanging men's room (where the day clothes were hung). the showers, the Museum of Industry, the headframes, the August 08, 1956 memorial... and of course a stop at the rescue truck to see its mosaic in memory of the miners.
- 2 versions of this booklet are available: one for children 6 to 9, the second for children 10 to 14.
- available in French and Dutch
- 1€ each (on top of the entrance fee)
An orientation trail
Children will have a lot of fun and many opportunities to run and jump on this orienteering experience, a treasure hunt taking the whole family through the former mining site and its slag heaps.
A mobile app
Download a fun itinerary on your smartphone or tablet and sharpen your gaze: there are questions to answers and games to play. Perfect to learn and play at the same time.
A family stroll
The Bois du Cazier is surrounded by a 25-hectare forest, arranged a semi-natural park to allow a closer look at this unusual biotope. There are paths crisscrossing the site for the public to explore the 3 slag heaps freely.
3 iconic sites dedicated to coal, glass and steel
- Open every day but Mondays.
- From Tuesdays to Fridays: 09:00 to 17:00
- Saturdays and Sundays: 10:00 to 18:00
The Bois du Cazier closes:
- from December 23rd to December 25th
- from December 30th to January 1st
- from January 6th to Janary 13th
Information on the walk
- Outdoor catering
- Indoor catering
- Library or document centre
- Educational service
- Visitor guide for groups
- Training materials on request
- Training materials provided
- Car parking
- Cycle rack