- Cycle ride
Welcome to the Cantine des Italiens, in the province of Hainaut: a 30-km bike ride, using the historical lifts of the Canal du Centre awaits.
Cycling along the Canal du Centre offers a spellbinding experience indeed - the lifts have been listed by UNESCO as cultural heritage. Imagine a spring morning - La Louvière is so pretty then. Forget the stereotypes you might have heard about the Pays Noir (Black Country), this RAVel is sure to enchant you. This is a real journey through time!
Start: La Cantine des Italiens (La Louvière)
Distance: 20 km
Signs: RAVel and W4 itinerary
- From the Cantine des Italiens, cycle along the Canal du Centre, admiring the 4 steel giants built in the 19th century as you pass: these hydraulic lifts are the only ones in the world to still be working.
- Along the RAVel 1, swing and metallic bridges witness of an exceptional know-how and heritage.
- Continue through the countryside - it's easy to forget an industrial city is so close.
- From the historical canal, you then switch to the newer part of the Canal du Centre, passing the impressive, unique funicular lift of Strepy-Thieu
- There you can visit the engine room and enjoy the immersive show « Pays de Génies » (a land of geniuses), paying tribute to Belgian industrial engineers.
Good to know
Love cycling along the water? The RAVel 1 goes along the former Brussels-Charleroi canal, between Ronquières and Seneffe, a wonderful example of how towpaths can be reused.
Click here to see the Bikes Welcome attractions and lodgings in the area.
Information on the walk
- Place Mansart 21-227100 La Louvière