- Religious heritage
- Museum & discovery
The Stavelot Abbey, a Benedictine abbey funded in 651, is a fascinating historical site with quite a modern touch: an abseiling experience from the top of the abbey tower.
Built in the province of Liège, the abbey features 3 amazing museums, each taking you on amazing cultural journeys.
An exceptional site
The Stavelot Abbey has always been a lively place: monks in the 8th century, revolutionaries, master tanners, municipal administration, museums... Not once has it been empty n 14 centuries. The building itself is listed as exceptional cultural heritage of Wallonia.
Visitors can learn more about the history of the abbey at the Historical museum of the principality of Stavelot-Malmedy on site. The internationally famous Galerie Triangle Bleu, added in 2004, presents a more contemporary side of the building.
2 other museums have found home in the abbey: the Spa- Francorchamps racetrack museum (dedicated to the most beautiful F1 track in the world) and the Guillaume Apollinaire museum (presenting the work of one of the outstanding French poets of the beginning of the XXth century).
The experience also includes temporary exhibitions, archaeological remains of the abbey's church, dating back to the XIth century, a museum shop and a tavern.
Abseiling from the tower of the abbey
The Stavelot Abbey is probably the only site offering such an adventure, a fantastic view on the building from the top of its 27 metres high tower. This activity requires a group of 5 persons minimum. Participants must be at least 1.4 m tall. Booking is highly recommended
- Your ticket gives you access to all 3 museums and temporary exhibitions.
- Free access to the archaeological site
- Free entry for children under 6
- Guided tours can be organised for groups and individuals but pre-booking is required.
More information can be found on the website of the abbey.
The abbey is open every day between 10 am and 6 pm.
- The golden ratio: until March 19th, 2018
- Magnum Contact Sheets: Until December 2nd, 2018
- Magnum Photos exhibition (agency created by iconic photographers such as Robert Cap and Henri Cartier-Bresson in 1947, presented for the first time in Belgium)
Other visits and duration:
- Stavelot-Malmedy museum: 1h30-2h
- Spa-Francorchamps racetracks museum: 30 min.-1h
- Guillaume Apollinaire museum: 30 min.-1h
- Outdoor catering
- Indoor catering
- Library or document centre
- Visitor guide for groups
- Internet access
- Wheelchair/disabled access
- Training materials on request
- Training materials provided
- Car parking