Fall and its vibrant colours prove the perfect excuse for a leisurely stroll through woodlands and countryside. Here are some of our favourites, starting from Tournai, Bolland, Forêt-Village (Trooz), Ciney, Namur, Moulin du Ruy (Stoumont) and Bastogne. All include a foodie hamper.
01 – A picnic overlooking Tournai
Pauline will meet you at the Ferme du Monchau, at the foot of the Mont Saint-Aubert. A fantastic walk to the top of that hill awaits. There are three itineraries to choose from (3.5-6.6 km), the shorter being stroller friendly.
All perfect to work an appetite as you will be taking a special refrigerated bag filled with local, zero waste focused treats: charcuterie, cheese, beer…
Should you make it to the summit, picnic will come with quite a memorable view of Notre-Dame cathedral and its belfry.
02 – Through meadows and orchards in Bolland
Fancy a poetic lunch? Try this nature walk, which comes with a full backpack..
- A cheese and charcuterie board, all products coming from local producers
- Grape, walnuts and other snacks to be paired with the cheese
- A traditional baguette
- A savoury cake made with regional cheese
- Decadent fruity gingerbread
- Honey and syrups from nearby orchards
- Drink (5 options)
Choose from two routes (6-9 km), each coming with a roadbook, complete with stories and legends bringing the past of the village to life. The family friendly itinerary even invites you to play hide and seek with cows.
03 – A enchanting walk in Trooz
Zytho-bistro-naturo-touristic: La Ferme des Loups is quite the magical place alone! But there is more still to discover. Book one of their 5 themed hampers, choose one of 7 itineraries, enter the secret code on your phone and listen to legends of the local she-wolf as you explore the region… page web.
04 – A rural or cultural stroll in Ciney
La Cave de David called on local artisans to fill its gourmet hampers:
- L'Atelier 117 (cheesemonger)
- Le Père Lahaut (charcuterie)
- The Chocolaterie Sigoji
- Etcétéra (fruit and vegetable)
- La Brasserie du Condroz (beer)
- Henneau (bread and pastries)
The picnic of course comes with a choice of white, red, rosé or sparkling wine, as well as water and organic apple juice.
Each bag includes a roadbook featuring:
- An itinerary focusing on 11 iconic buildings in Ciney
- 2 itineraries taking you to the countryside which can be either walked or cycled
The only thing you have to do is bring your picnic blanket!
05 – Cheese, friends and nature near Namur
What a fun walk indeed: Kaascroute will give you a backpack with all you need to make a fondue along the way. Local cheese, of course! There are 5 itineraries to start burning the calories, each with an easy, medium or difficult route depending on how sporty you feel.
Clemence, the organiser, will soon offer a weekend option to those wishing to take a longer nature break. Follow Go Outdoor on your favourite social media platforms for updates.
06 - More fondue fun
From Fromage (cheese) and Promenade (stroll), Fromenade was born, a 24 hours adventure in nature. This amazing experience is accessible to all:
- Families with children, strollers, wheelchairs
- Walkers preferring a slow pace
- Active walkers looking for grandiose landscapes
No worry about the weather: your pack includes everything you need, come rain or shine.
Check out the website : spend the night in nature
07 – Hike and snack in Bastogne
La Maison du Tourisme du Pays de Bastogne teamed up with local tourist offices to create these delicious hampers, designed to be enjoyed along 4 walks in the region. The itinerary can either printed or downloaded as a GPX file. Imagine sitting down in the countryside to devour some saucisson, cheese and the thinnest slices of ham all made locally… There is beer too, and you can either try L’Airborne, La Vatch’Hot, L’Odacieuse, La Criminelle or L’Hoeg’Ardene.
Just a few tips:
These foodie walks have been designed with love by the sites mentioned above.
- Please check details and conditions when booking
- Check the weather forecast on the day and dress accordingly
- Respect nature along the way
- Bring your litter back with you
- Late? Need to cancel? It happens. Please let your hosts know
Every season has its share of fun in Wallonia!