- Industrial heritage
- Minin heap
- Guided tour and discovery
- Museum or Interpretation Centre
Listed by UNESCO as one of the major mining sites in Wallonia, the Bois du Cazier is a particularly touching memorial. Located South of Charleroi, this preserved industrial heritage site stretches along 26 hectares. A remarkable orientation trail has been designed to present its 3 heaps and architectural features.
Thanks to an IOF (International Orienteering Federation) map featuring the relief, vegetation, constructions, visitors can explore the site, looking for markers. The latter will give information on the mining site, including their biotope structure.
A remembrance place
The Bois du Cazier highlights immigration and conditions of industrial workers. The site is known as the location of a major mining disaster on August 8th, 1956, with 262 killed. The victims came from a wide range of countries, 35 different ones in total, the majority being Italian.
The site, closed in 1967, was left abandoned for years before being revalorised thank to European funding. It opened to the public in 2002 as a touristic attraction and memorial, a place part of the industrial history of Wallonia. Following its motto "The past, present for the future", it offers a didactic trail dedicated to coal, iron and glass, showcasing human know-how with its many successes and failures.
The Bois du Cazier shelter permanent and temporary exhibitions in the following buildings:
- The Musée de l’industrie, which features tools, machines used for mining, steel works, offers incredible insight into the workers' life.
- The Musée du Verre, where you can admire a selection of glass pieces produces in Belgium between in the 19th - the beginning of the 20th century, as well as more contemporary masterpieces
The digital touch
Why not download the Bois du Cazier app to explore the site? There are 4 itineraries to choose from:
- The fun trail: designed for families with children 6-12 years
- The off the beaten path: featuring 20 amazing points of interest on the site
- The heaps trail: to discover the flora and fauna of the site
Travellers with specific needs
This Bois du Cazier enjoys Access-i labelled facilities and/or activities. Click here to see the details.
The Bois du Cazier is a wonderful mirror of an industrial expertise but also of its failures: a fascinating page of Wallonia's rich history.
BOIS DU CAZIER
Validity date: from 01-01-2020 au 31-12-2020
- Offer throughout 2020
- Valid for 4 persons max per voucher
- Cannot be combined with any other ongoing promotion or offer
- This voucher must be printed and given to the ticket office on arrival
The museumPassmusées: free access to 172 Belgian museums for 59€
This exclusive pass, valid for a year, gives you free access to over 100 Belgian museums, Wallonia included.
Please check the opening times, booking tips and recommendations with them (either via their website or by contacting them directly) before visiting. Remember to check the border and quarantine regulations before travelling.
Click here to see the list of attractions now reopened.
Minimum duration : 2:30
English - French - Italian - Dutch
Outdoor catering - Indoor catering - Library or document centre - Educational service
Cafe - Daylight - Shop - Training materials on request - Training materials provided - Car parking - Cycle rack - Parking - Restaurant
Guide available/groups - FR - NL - Audioguide/mobile app/tablet