- Architectural heritage
Overlooking the city and the Ourthe river, at the very heart of nature, this IXth century castle makes La Roche the gem of the Ardenne and the Luxembourg province. A wonderful journey to medieval times awaits...
Lords and knights
Built on the ruins of a Roman fortified camp, the first chateau was constructed here in the 9th century and for the next five hundred years, curtain walls, towers and bastions were added by successive local rulers as the strategic location on the River Ourthe became more vital for defence against invading armies.
Louis XIV employed a student of Vauban to add the finishing touches in the early 18th century but the chateau was largely demolished in the late 18th century on the orders of the Hapsburgs.
Massive allied bombing raids in 1944 added to its destruction, but today, the ruins with sweeping views over the wooded valley of the Ourthe and the pretty little town of La Roche-en-Ardenne are still a fine example of the changing styles of military architecture spanning more than 600 years.
Activities changing with the seasons
The castle organises a wide range of events and activities, such as:
- falconry demonstration
- medieval craft
- medieval fair
- Halloween fun
During the summer months, visitors get see the ghost of Berthe de La Roche (the lord's daughter) appear. It is rumoured that on certain nights the beautiful Countess Berthe de La Roche, who jumped to her death after being tricked into marrying her love rival, can be seen wandering the ruins of the castle...
Visitors with specific needs
Access is difficult for visitors with reduced mobility and non accessible to wheelchairs and the likes.
LA ROCHE TOURIST OFFICE AND CASTLE
Validity date: from 01-01-2021 au 31-12-2021
- Offer valid throughout 2021
- 5.5€ instead of 6.5€ per adult, 4€ instead of 4.5€ per child aged 3 to 12 years)and 1 € reduction for birds of prey demonstrations and activities
- Valid for 4 persons max per voucher.
- Cannot be combined with any other ongoing promotion or offer
- This voucher must be printed and given to the ticket office on arrival
- If booking online, please contact the site (phone, email) to know which process to follow to enjoy this promotion
Cafe - Car parking - Cycle rack - Parking
Guide available/groups - German - EN - FR - NL