Did you know Belgium has one of the highest density of castles per square kilometer in the world? There are hundreds in Wallonia alone, from medieval fortresses to more leisure-oriented châteaux. Such a lovely way to travel through centuries....
Fancy visiting a few during your stay? Have a look at ideas for fantastic castle days out.
- Bouillon castle: a medieval gem in Wallonia© WBT - David SamynBouillon
Bouillon castle: a medieval gem in WalloniaBuilt on three rock pitons overlooking the Semois river, the Bouillon Castle is a remarkable monument in the province of Luxembourg, retracing almost a thousand years of history and military architecture.
- Modave Castle and its exceptional gardens© WBT - J.P. RemyModave
Modave Castle and its exceptional gardensThe Modave castle, listed as major cultural heritage of Wallonia, is well worth the detour. Built on a rocky hill in the province of Liège, it is said to date back to the Middle Ages.
- Poilvache medieval ruins© Christian GenardYvoir
Poilvache medieval ruinsLocated just a few kilometres from Dinant, the Poilvache ruins overlook the Meuse river and the charming village of Houx. These remains, which date from the 13th and 15th century, are well worth stopping by and are listed as exceptional cultural heritage of Wallonia.
- The castle of Lavaux-Sainte-Anne, nature and cultural heritage in Rochefort© Val de LesseLavaux-Sainte-Anne
The castle of Lavaux-Sainte-Anne, nature and cultural heritage in RochefortThe castle of Lavaux-Saint-Anne, its three museums, its park and gardens in the province of Namur are sure to enchant you. This magnificent castle on the plain of Wallonia is a mere 16 km from Rochefort, 23 from the French border.
- Ruins of La Roche-en-Ardenne castle© WBT - Denis ErroyauxLa Roche-en-Ardenne
Ruins of La Roche-en-Ardenne castleOverlooking the city and the Ourthe river, at the very heart of nature, this IXth century castle makes La Roche the gem of the Ardenne and the Luxembourg province. A wonderful journey to medieval times awaits...
- Château d'Hélécine | Walloon Brabant region© Brabant wallonHélécine
Château d'Hélécine | Walloon Brabant regionHalfway between Brussels and Liège, this estate is home to an 18th century Neoclassical castle and a stunning park.
- The Château de Seneffe, its estate and its Silverware Museum© Domaine de Seneffe asbl - Francis VaubanSeneffe
The Château de Seneffe, its estate and its Silverware MuseumThe Château de Seneffe estate and its Museum feature one of Belgium's most important silverware collections.