Did you know Belgium has one of the highest density of castles per square kilometer in the world? There are hundreds in Wallonia alone, from medieval fortresses to more leisure-oriented châteaux. Such a lovely way to travel through centuries....
Fancy visiting a few during your stay? Have a look at ideas for fantastic castle days out.
- Château d'Hélécine | Walloon Brabant region© Brabant wallonHélécine
Château d'Hélécine | Walloon Brabant regionHalfway between Brussels and Liège, this estate is home to an 18th century Neoclassical castle and a stunning park.
- Modave Castle and its exceptional gardens© WBT - J.P. RemyModave
Modave Castle and its exceptional gardensThe Modave castle, listed as major cultural heritage of Wallonia, is well worth the detour. Built on a rocky hill in the province of Liège, it is said to date back to the Middle Ages.
- Château de Chimay castle: an interactive and historical visit© WBT - Bruno D'AlimonteChimay
Château de Chimay castle: an interactive and historical visitThis superb castle, more than a 1,000 years old, is near the Scourmont abbey which makes the Trappist Chimay beer.
- Reinhardstein castle | Ovifat© WBT - S. WittenbolOvifat
Reinhardstein castle | OvifatNestled in the eastern townships of the Haute s Fagnes, this castle from the 14th century overlooks Ovifat from the top of its peak.
- The Château de Seneffe, its estate and its Silverware Museum© Domaine de Seneffe asbl - Francis VaubanSeneffe
The Château de Seneffe, its estate and its Silverware MuseumThe Château de Seneffe estate and its Museum feature one of Belgium's most important silverware collections.
- Bouillon castle: a medieval gem in Wallonia© WBT - David SamynBouillon
Bouillon castle: a medieval gem in WalloniaBuilt on three rock pitons overlooking the Semois river, the Bouillon Castle is a remarkable monument in the province of Luxembourg, retracing almost a thousand years of history and military architecture.
- The castle of Lavaux-Sainte-Anne, nature and cultural heritage in Rochefort© Val de LesseLavaux-Sainte-Anne
The castle of Lavaux-Sainte-Anne, nature and cultural heritage in RochefortThe castle of Lavaux-Saint-Anne, its three museums, its park and gardens in the province of Namur are sure to enchant you. This magnificent castle on the plain of Wallonia is a mere 16 km from Rochefort, 23 from the French border.
- Annevoie water gardens | Meuse Valley© WBT - J.P. RemyAnnevoie-Rouillon
Annevoie water gardens | Meuse ValleyDiscover these amazing gardens, created 250 years ago and considered one of Wallonia's cultural treasures. How could anyone resist taking a stroll between the fountains, waterfalls, ponds and stunning combination of French, Italian and English style gardens?
- Château de Jehay | Amay© JP Rolin Province de LiegeAmay
Château de Jehay | AmayLocated in the province of Liège, the Château de Jehay offers a remarkable architecture, unique in Europe. This impressive historical building, surrounded by moats, seems to appear as if by magic as you walk past the forest.
- The Fort de Logne castle and museum: a medieval day in Vieuxville© Steve CollinVieuxville
The Fort de Logne castle and museum: a medieval day in VieuxvilleLocated within easy reach of Durbuy, the castle and museum of Logne are sure to delight the family.
- Ruins of La Roche-en-Ardenne castle© WBT - Denis ErroyauxLa Roche-en-Ardenne
Ruins of La Roche-en-Ardenne castleOverlooking the city and the Ourthe river, at the very heart of nature, this IXth century castle makes La Roche the gem of the Ardenne and the Luxembourg province. A wonderful journey to medieval times awaits...