Discover historic reconstructions, testimonies, archive documents, museums and iconic sites in Wallonia to better understand the impact of WW2 in the region.
Label, certification or network
- Spitfire Memorial Museum© Musée SpitfireFlorennes
Spitfire Memorial MuseumLocated in the aerodrome buildings, the museum displays a 1944 MK XIV Spitfire as well as various aircraft that have figured prominently in the Belgian Air force. The museum also covers the history of the aerodrome and the squadrons that were based there.
- Hitler's Bunker in Bruly-de-Pesche© bunkerhitler.beBrûly-de-Pesche
Hitler's Bunker in Bruly-de-PescheA completely renovated remembrance site, only a stone's throw from the French border, where Adolf Hitler stayed during the Second World War.
- Bastogne War Museum: a WW2 commemorative centre© TemporaBastogne
Bastogne War Museum: a WW2 commemorative centreThis cultural centre, dedicated to the second world war, offers an incredible immersion into the Battle of the Bulge. 4 characters, civilians and soldiers, guide the visitors through the galleries, sharing their story as they go along. An interactive, modern presentation sure to wow children and adults alike.
- Eben-Emael fort: a WW2 memorial site© Fort d'Eben-EmaelEben-Emael
Eben-Emael fort: a WW2 memorial siteBack in 1940, the main obstacle facing the northern prong of the German attack on Belgium was the city of Liège, protected by a newly upgraded ring of 12 forts. The most formidable of these was Eben-Emael, 20 miles north-east of the city, which was designed to prevent a crossing of the River Meuse and the Albert Canal.
- MMM: Mons Mémorial Museum© Ville de Mons - Mara de SarioMons
MMM: Mons Mémorial MuseumThe city of the Doudou invites you to discover the MMM or Mons Memorial Museum: a new cultural space retracing its story through the two world wars.
- Baugnez 44 Historical Center: a museum dedicated to the Battle of the Bulge© Fondation Baugnez 44Malmedy
Baugnez 44 Historical Center: a museum dedicated to the Battle of the BulgeThe Baugnez 44 Historical Center is considered one of the most beautiful of the Battle of the Bulge museums.
- The fort of Boggess (Bastogne)© FTLB - P. WillemsBastogne
The fort of Boggess (Bastogne)South of Bastogne is the Fort of Boggess: an important location in the Battle of the Bulge, which helped with liberating the city during WW2.
- German Military Cemetery© WBT - P. MareeBastogne
German Military CemeteryLocated near Bastogne, the Recogne military cemetery contains the remains of 6,807 German soldiers having died during the Battle of the Bulge (WW2).
- Henri-Chapelle American cemetery (Homboug)© Office du Tourisme du Pays d'AubelHombourg
Henri-Chapelle American cemetery (Homboug)American memorial and cemetery where almost 8000 soldiers are buried and 450 missing soldiers are honoured.
- Musée du Souvenir 40/45: a WW2 memorial space in Perwez© Benjamin HeylenPerwez
Musée du Souvenir 40/45: a WW2 memorial space in PerwezThe Musée du Souvenir 40-45, created by history lovers, will immerse you in the Second World War and tell you what happened in the Walloon Brabant region.
- Neuville-en-Condroz American Military Cemetery© Office du Tourisme du Pays d'AubelNeupré
Neuville-en-Condroz American Military CemeteryThe Ardennes American Cemetery can be found in the commune of Neupré in Belgium. This site is part of 14 WW2 American cemeteries created outside the US. 5,328 American soldiers are buried in this particular one.
- Musée de la 1ere Armée Française© Kim FoucartCortil-Noirmont
Musée de la 1ere Armée FrançaiseAssembled by private collectors, this museum provides an overview of the deployment of the Belgian, French and British armed forces as part of the Dyle plan, with a large collection of weapons, maps and documents. The displays underline the importance of the battle of Gembloux, emphasising the sacrifice of the French a
- Museum 40-44 Lieutenant Cook© Clement DerbaudrenghienMonceau-Imbrechies
Museum 40-44 Lieutenant CookLike many young Belgians, 12-year-old Paul Delahaye was thrilled by the arrival of the American liberators. After the war, je collected memorabilia connected with the battle, bought the barn where Lieutenant Cook died and created a museum dedicated to this American hero.
- Fort de Pontisse | Near Liège© Fort de PontisseHerstal
Fort de Pontisse | Near LiègeBuilt in 1888 by General Henri-Alexis Brialmont, Fort Pontisse is one of the twelve forts that made up the Fortified Position of Liège.
- The 1940 French Cavalary Corps museum© Kim FoucartJandrain-Jandrenouille
The 1940 French Cavalary Corps museumLed by General Blanchard, General Prioux' regiment was tasked to help organise the First Army. This event, which took place in May 1940, was the first WW2 battle with tanks.
- The fort of Battice© René CouneBattice
The fort of BatticeJust 17 km from the border, the fort of Battice was one of the first locations attacked by the German army on May 10, 1940. Built in the 30s, this garrison sheltered 750 men, of which 34 lost their life the first 12 days of the siege.
- Fort of Barchon | Liège© Pierre WeeckmansBarchon
Fort of Barchon | LiègeThis is one of the 12 forts built by General Brialmont around Lièges. Together with Pontisse on the other side of the Meuse, it was the farther north of Liège.
- Mardasson Memorial© TemporaBastogne
Mardasson MemorialInaugurated on July 16, 1950, the Mardasson war memorial celebrates the lasting friendship between Belgium and the US, brought together by their victory during the Battle of the Bulge in December 1944-January 1945.
- Bulge Relics Museum© FTLB - P. WillemsVielsalm
Bulge Relics MuseumJust 7 km from the centre of Vielsalm, this museum exhibiting relics from the Battle of the Bulge was put together by a passionate family.
- Musée du Souvenir Mai 1940© Musée du Souvenir, Batailles de la Meuse, mai 1940 ASBLHaut-Le-Wastia
Musée du Souvenir Mai 1940Haut-le-Wastia was the first village in the path of the German tanks after they had crossed the Meuse near Dinant. The Museum, spread across three floors of the old school, concentrates on the three-day battle in the area.
- December '44 Historical Museum© December 44Stoumont
December '44 Historical MuseumDiscover the Battle of the Bulge through a large collection of artefacts. This museum focuses on the events having taken place around La Gleize, with beautifully staged scenes.
- The Belgian Commando Battalions museum in Flawinne© CdomuseumFlawinne
The Belgian Commando Battalions museum in FlawinneThe Commando Museum in Flawinne retraces the story this Belgian elite fighting force, from its creation in 1942 to today. Visitors can learn about the many military campaigns the soldiers took part in and see the equipment, weapons and vehicles used by the battalions.
- MaquiStory | Historial de la Résistance et de la Seconde Guerre Mondiale© Tourisme SillySilly
MaquiStory | Historial de la Résistance et de la Seconde Guerre MondialeIn the heart of the village of Saint-Marcoult, the site of the Resistance of the Second World War, you'll discover the MaquiStory museum.
- Remember Museum 39-45© Remember Museum 39-44Clermont
Remember Museum 39-45This museum,created by Marcel and Mathilde Schmetz, is a place of remembrance dedicated to the 1st US Infantry Division in the region of Liege
- The Huy fortress and memorial© WBT - David SamynHuy
The Huy fortress and memorialWhile visiting the region of Huy, make sure to visit this fort, a real memorial to the second world war. Its museum retraces its history as a concentration camp.
- Bastogne Barracks - a fascinating WW2 interpretation centre© Bastogne BarracksBastogne
Bastogne Barracks - a fascinating WW2 interpretation centreThe former US headquarters set up by legendary General McAuliffe in December 1944 is now a WW2 interpretation centre.
- The 'Battle of the Ardennes' Museum© WBT - J.P. RemyLa Roche-En-Ardenne
The 'Battle of the Ardennes' MuseumThe Battle of the Bulge Museum's impressive collections, spread over 3 floors, are fully dedicated to the history of the Second World War.
- Manhay History 44 Museum© WBT - P. MareeManhay
Manhay History 44 MuseumThe museum vividly tells the story of the Battle of Manhay (part of the Battle of the Bulge) from 23 December 1944 to the liberation of the last villages in January 1945.
- 101st Airborne Museum© 101st Abn MuseumBastogne
101st Airborne MuseumIn the heart of Bastogne, this museum features a rich collection of objects from the Second World War, the Battle of the Bulge...