Please check the opening times, booking tips and recommendations with them (either via their website or by contacting them directly) before visiting. Remember to check the border and quarantine regulations before travelling.
Click here to see the list of attractions now reopened.
- Woodland, nature reserve or natural area
- Grottoes and caves
- Guided tour and discovery
- Education to nature
Just 6 km from Mons, the Neolithic flint mines of Spiennes or SILEX'S, listed by UNESCO, are well worth a visit...
Dotted with thousands of mine shafts, the site extends over 100 acres: this is one of the oldest and largest centres for the extraction of flint in Europe.
There is proof of human life in the area from the Palaeolithic period. The flint mines themselves were dug during the Neolithic period, between 4200 and 2500 BC. A few have been fully excavated by archaeologists and can be visited.
SILEX'S, the interpretive centre at the Neolithic flint mines of Spiennes, presents the many facets of this internationally renowned archaeological site.
- enjoy walks and bike rides in the nearby Natur 2000 area
- visit the museum (complete with fun activities for the little ones)
- meet archaeologists and visit the excavation site during special weekends
- descend into a real Neolithic flint mine, 9 metres underground.
- Only 5,500 persons are allowed down these Neolithic flint mines a year to preserve the site as is.
- Please contact VisitMons to book your visit.
Visitors with specific needs
The Neolithic Flint Mines are part of the sites certified by the official label Access-i (meaning with facilities or/activities adapted to travellers with specific needs). You will find more details on the website to plan your visit.