- Museum or Interpretation Centre
- Religious heritage
The Stavelot Abbey, a Benedictine abbey funded in 651, is a fascinating historical site with quite a modern touch: an abseiling experience from the top of the abbey tower.
Built in the province of Liège, the abbey features 3 amazing museums, each taking you on amazing cultural journeys.
An exceptional site
Stavelot Abbey has always been a lively place: monks in the 8th century, revolutionaries, master tanners, municipal administration, museums... Not once has it been empty n 14 centuries. The building itself is listed as an exceptional cultural heritage of Wallonia.
The restored religious buildings regroup three large museums where temporary exhibitions are organised. One of them, the Historical museum of the principality of Stavelot-Malmedy offers in the renovated 18th century cloisters, a timeline through more than 1,000 years of history. The list of Abbots is reproduced on the floor of the central hall, whilst extracts from the Rule of Saint Benedict in Latin are etched on the windows. The rooms each address a specific theme which the princely abbey was controlling then: its monastic and religious life and its economic and political organisation.
2 other museums have found home in the abbey:
- the Spa-Francorchamps racetrack museum (dedicated to the most beautiful F1 track in the world)
- the Guillaume Apollinaire museum (presenting the work of one of the outstanding French poets of the beginning of the XXth century).
The experience also includes temporary exhibitions, archaeological remains of the abbey's church, dating back to the XIth century, a museum shop and a tavern.
- Your ticket gives you access to all 3 museums and temporary exhibitions.
- Free access to the archaeological site
- Guided tours can be organised for groups and individuals but pre-booking is required.
Visitors with specific needs
The Abbey of Stavelot is one of the many sites certified by Access-i (meaning with facilities or/activities adapted to travellers with specific needs). You will find more details on the website to plan your visit.
Validity date: from 01-01-2020 au 31-12-2020
- Offer valid throughout 2020
- Based on 2 adults min. buying a ticket
- Valid for 4 persons max per voucher.
- Cannot be combined with any other ongoing promotion or offer
- This voucher must be printed and given to the ticket office on arrival
The museumPassmusées: free access to 172 Belgian museums for 59€
This exclusive pass, valid for a year, gives you free access to over 100 Belgian museums, Wallonia included.
German - English - Chinese - French - Dutch
Outdoor catering - Indoor catering
Cafe - Daylight - Shop - Training materials on request - Training materials provided - Car parking - Parking - Restaurant - Wi-Fi
Guide available/groups - German - EN - FR - NL - Audioguide/mobile app/tablet