- Water attraction
- Industrial heritage
- Sport and relaxation
- Waterways holidays
Located on the Canal du Centre, the Strépy-Thieu funicular lift is the second largest boat lift in the world and its 73.15 metres incline is quite impressive. An absolute must see if you are travelling through the Hainaut region: the experience will take you to the very top of this concrete giant, a 100 metres above ground.
Belgium's waterway network - 1,3500 tons in total - meant a new segment of the Canal du Centre had to be added, as well as a boat lift. This impressive construction is now open to the public.
Visiting the boat lift
Strepy Thieu is rich in discoveries. Expect an impressive machinery room, a superb panorama of the site and the region, animated scale models, interactive games and a movie presenting the construction and functioning of the equipment.
Waterways of the past, present and future
The interpretation centre, inaugurated in March 2019, includes an exhibition retracing:
- the past: development of Belgium's waterways andits history in boatmaking
- the present: the savings this means of transport represents, the imposing structures that go with them
- the future: how will the actual waterway network be developed and used
VOIES D'EAU DU HAINAUT ASB: Canal du centre, boat lifts, inclined plan
Validity date: from 01-01-2021 au 31-12-2021
- Offer valid throughout 2021
- Valid for the following activities:
> visit of the boat lift and its exhibition (reduced price: 7.2€ per adult, 5.85€ per child 13-18 y.o/senior,4.05€ per 4-12 y.o. child)
> boat cruise on the Canal du Centre (return trip - reduced price: 13.5€ per adult, 11.25€ per student/senior, 9€ per 4-12 y.o. child)
- If you want to combine some of these activities, please print one voucher per activity of interest
- Valid for 4 persons max per voucher.
- Cannot be combined with any other ongoing promotion or offer
- This voucher must be printed and given to the ticket office on arrival
- If booking online, please contact the site first to know which process to follow to enjoy this promotion
- Digue de Cuesmes 29/17000 MonsPhone number +32 78 05 90 59
Wallonia has developped , a network gathering sites offering facilitie and/or services dedicted to Travellers with special needs. Click here to see the details for the Strépy-Thieu boat lift.
Shop - Car parking - Cycle rack - Parking
Guide available/groups - German - EN - FR - NL - Guide available/individuals - EN - FR - NL