Forget dusty, boring museums. There are many to discover in Wallonia, each with its own universe, its own atmosphere. Some are vibrant, others quirky or immersive. All are incredibly welcoming, aiming at making learning fun. Exploring them is a pure delight, whether you are coming on your own, with family or friends.
We do our best to keep our information up to date but it's always best to check with the site you hope to visit before heading there - by phone, email, social media or simply by visiting their website - to see their latest opening hours and entry conditions.
- Château d'Hélécine | Walloon Brabant region© Brabant wallonHélécine
Château d'Hélécine | Walloon Brabant regionHalfway between Brussels and Liège, this estate is home to an 18th century Neoclassical castle and a stunning park.
- The steam railway museum of the Three Valleys | Treignes© CFV3V - Guillaume AllardTreignes
The steam railway museum of the Three Valleys | TreignesSet in a former international station, the museum retraces Belgium's railway and industrial history
- Annevoie water gardens | Meuse Valley© WBT - J.P. RemyAnnevoie-Rouillon
Annevoie water gardens | Meuse ValleyDiscover these amazing gardens, created 250 years ago and considered one of Wallonia's cultural treasures. How could anyone resist taking a stroll between the fountains, waterfalls, ponds and stunning combination of French, Italian and English style gardens?
- Château de Jehay | Amay© JP Rolin Province de LiegeAmay
Château de Jehay | AmayLocated in the province of Liège, the Château de Jehay offers a remarkable architecture, unique in Europe. This impressive historical building, surrounded by moats, seems to appear as if by magic as you walk past the forest.
- The Trois Vallées steam railway (in Mariembourg and Treignes)© Bernard CarbonneauxMariembourg
The Trois Vallées steam railway (in Mariembourg and Treignes)Enjoy a travel through time aboard this authentic steam train, a wonderful way to discover the Viroin and Haute-Meuse valleys in Wallonia.
- Ruins of La Roche-en-Ardenne castle© WBT - Denis ErroyauxLa Roche-en-Ardenne
Ruins of La Roche-en-Ardenne castleOverlooking the city and the Ourthe river, at the very heart of nature, this IXth century castle makes La Roche the gem of the Ardenne and the Luxembourg province. A wonderful journey to medieval times awaits...
- Step underground at the Cave of Comblain (near Liège)© Bernard JacqminComblain-au-Pont
Step underground at the Cave of Comblain (near Liège)The Grotte de Comblain, listed as an underground cavity of scientific interest, can be found in the Liège province, on the hills of the Comblain-au-Pont vil
- The Bois des Rêves estate in Ottignies© Brabant wallonOttignies
The Bois des Rêves estate in OttigniesThis leisure park set in a stunning natural area in the province of Walloon Brabant promises a wonderful day out. Just 30 minutes from Brussels, the Bois des Rêves, at the very heart of a forest, offers a wide range of activities for the whole family.
- The Aisne Tourist Tram | A fun ride through the Ardenne countryside© WBT - J.P. RemyErezée
The Aisne Tourist Tram | A fun ride through the Ardenne countrysideThe TTA - the Aisne Tourist Tram - runs along part of a former railway road in the Ardennes.
- Electric boats rentals on the Meuse river | Dinant© DINANT NautiqueDinant
Electric boats rentals on the Meuse river | DinantDinant Evasion invites you to see Dinant, the birth town of Adolphe Sax, from an electric boat – quite a different angle! Even better: no license is required. Get on board, adventure awaits!
- Electric boat rentals for cruises on the Canal du Centre© Utopix - VhelloLa Louvière
Electric boat rentals for cruises on the Canal du CentreThe Boatlifts of the Canal du Centre Historique, listed by UNESCO, are iconic sights in the Region. From the Cantine des Italiens, you can rent electric boats (no permit required!) and indulge in a journey through time.
- The Château de Seneffe, its estate and its Silverware Museum© Domaine de Seneffe asbl - Francis VaubanSeneffe
The Château de Seneffe, its estate and its Silverware MuseumThe Château de Seneffe estate and its Museum feature one of Belgium's most important silverware collections.
- The Draisines in Molignée: rail bikes perfect for a fun day out© WBTAnhée
The Draisines in Molignée: rail bikes perfect for a fun day outHave fun riding a rail bike, allowing you to travel at your own pace on former railway tracks. The trail goes through the picturesque Molignée valley, between Falaën and Maredsous.
- The Domaine des Grottes de Han© Domaine des Grottes de HanHan-sur-Lesse
The Domaine des Grottes de HanCome and explore the world-famous underground caves of Han-sur-Lesse, near Rochefort. The Michelin guide has awarded the site 3 stars in its travel guide fo Wallonia.
- The Lobbes-Thuin historic tramway© Jean-Claude AndrieuThuin
The Lobbes-Thuin historic tramwayThe Vicinal Historic Tramway Discovery Centre in Lobbes-Thuin is a museum dedicated solely to trams of all kinds: steam, electric, diesel.
- Château de Chimay castle: an interactive and historical visit© WBT - Bruno D'AlimonteChimay
Château de Chimay castle: an interactive and historical visitThis superb castle, more than a 1,000 years old, is near the Scourmont abbey which makes the Trappist Chimay beer.
- The Fort de Logne castle and museum: a medieval day in Vieuxville© Steve CollinVieuxville
The Fort de Logne castle and museum: a medieval day in VieuxvilleLocated within easy reach of Durbuy, the castle and museum of Logne are sure to delight the family.
- SILEX'S Mons: the Neolithic flint mines of Spiennes© Ville de Mons - Serge BrisonSpiennes
SILEX'S Mons: the Neolithic flint mines of SpiennesJust 6 km from Mons, the Neolithic flint mines of Spiennes or SILEX'S, listed by UNESCO, are well worth a visit...
- Château de Moha (Province of Liège)© Château féodal de MohaMoha
Château de Moha (Province of Liège)This stunning castle was set on a rocky spur at the edge of the village.
- The Château d'Havré and its gardens | Mons© Les Amis du Château d’Havré - Nicole DarvilleMons
The Château d'Havré and its gardens | MonsThe Château d'Havré is a beautiful, ancient building built just on the outskirts of Mons, in Belgium.
- Poilvache medieval ruins© Christian GenardYvoir
Poilvache medieval ruinsLocated just a few kilometres from Dinant, the Poilvache ruins overlook the Meuse river and the charming village of Houx. These remains, which date from the 13th and 15th century, are well worth stopping by and are listed as exceptional cultural heritage of Wallonia.
- Domaine provincial de Wégimont: a leisure park in Soumagne© Domaine provincial de WégimontSoumagne
Domaine provincial de Wégimont: a leisure park in SoumagneThis charming leisure center is nestled in a 22 hectares park planted with trees and flowers, near the Herve plateau.
- The ruins of the fortress of Montaigle© ftpn - Christian GenardOnhaye
The ruins of the fortress of MontaigleThe Montaigle Located in Falaen, at the confluence of the Flavion and Molignée, the ruins of the Montaigle castle will seduce the poet in you...castle, which used to the home to a count in the 14th century, is built on a rocky spur.
- Harzé castle and its Milling and Baking Museum© Steve CollinHarzé
Harzé castle and its Milling and Baking MuseumThe Milling and Bakery Museum will take you through the extraordinary adventure of harvesting grain, processing flour with old mills and bread making.