We do our best to keep our information up to date but it's always best to check with the site you hope to visit before heading there - by phone, email, social media or simply by visiting their website - to see their latest opening hours and entry conditions.
Forget dusty, boring museums. There are many to discover in Wallonia, each with its own universe, its own atmosphere. Some are vibrant, others quirky or immersive. All are incredibly welcoming, aiming at making learning fun. Exploring them is a pure delight, whether you are coming on your own, with family or friends.
Label, certification or network
- Villers Abbey, part of Wallonia's exceptional cultural heritage© FTBWVillers-la-Ville
Villers Abbey, part of Wallonia's exceptional cultural heritageThe Villers Abbey, built in 1146, now in ruins is a stunning witness of how the Cistercian Monks lived. The site is considered one of the most complete in Europe as it features remains of all the buildings used daily.
- The Aulne Abbey© WBT - S. WittenbolGozée
The Aulne AbbeyThe ruins of the Cistercian Aulne Abbey are nestled on the right bank of the Sambre, in a place beautifully called "Vallée de la Paix" or Valley of peace. The atmosphere is indeed very soothing and calls for a pleasant walk.
- Stavelot Abbey: the perfect alliance of culture and adventure© WBT - J.P. RemyStavelot
Stavelot Abbey: the perfect alliance of culture and adventureStavelot Abbey, a Benedictine abbey funded in 651, is a fascinating historical site with quite a modern touch: an abseiling experience from the top of the abbey tower.
- Maredsous abbey: cheese and beer of character© Abbaye de Maredsous asblDenée
Maredsous abbey: cheese and beer of characterThe Maredsous Abbey, in the Molignée valley, is one of the most beautiful ones in Belgium. Make the most of your visit to admire the architecture of the monastery and taste the famous cheese and beer made on site.
- The Collegiate Church of St Gertrude and its impressive jacquemart© WBT - Denis ErroyauxNivelles
The Collegiate Church of St Gertrude and its impressive jacquemartThe jacquemart (an animated mechanised figure which strikes the hours on a bell with a hammer) of the Sainte-Gertrude collegiate church in Nivelle is one of 3 in Wallonia.
- Malmundarium, a must see historical visit in Malmedy© SI MalmedyMalmedy
Malmundarium, a must see historical visit in MalmedyThe Malmundarium, a former Benedictine monastery, is a space dedicated to memory, art, history and culture in the Cantons de l'Est region.
- Notre-Dame d'Orval Abbey: a religious and gourmet visit© OrvalVillers-devant-Orval
Notre-Dame d'Orval Abbey: a religious and gourmet visitFounded in 1132, Notre-Dame of Orval is one of the most remarkable Cistercian abbeys in Belgium. This historical location is still home to a bustling community of monks and even... a Trappist brewery.
- Notre-Dame de Saint-Rémy de Rochefort Abbey© WBT-DenisErroyauxRochefort
Notre-Dame de Saint-Rémy de Rochefort AbbeyA community of Trappist and Cistercian monks of strict observance live on the abbey.
- ABBATIALE ROMANE OF HASTIÈRE AND ITS MUSEUM© WBT - JL FlemalHastière
ABBATIALE ROMANE OF HASTIÈRE AND ITS MUSEUMAbbey: Romanesque nave and tower (1033 - 1035) - Romanesque crypt and Merovingian sarcophagi - Gothic choir (1264) - Murals (12th century)
- The Floreffe Abbey© ®MTSO - JB Van AchterFloreffe
The Floreffe AbbeySituated on a promontory overlooking the Sambre Valley, the Floreffe Abbey enjoys the status of being listed as one of Wallonia’s Special Heritage Sites. The building, founded by Saint Norbert in 1121, contains many artistic, architectural and historic treasures.
- Saint-Ursmer collegiate church | Lobbes© Open ChurchesLobbes
Saint-Ursmer collegiate church | LobbesSee the full beauty of the Saint Ursmer collegiate church in the Sambre Valley (Hainaut): the only church in Belgium built in Carolingian times and the oldest in Belgium. Built in the 4th century by the monks of the Lobbes Abbey, it kept its original architecture, softened here and there by Mosan touches.
- Scourmont Abbey | Gourmet discovery in Chimay© WBT - O. LegardienChimay
Scourmont Abbey | Gourmet discovery in ChimayFind out more about making Chimay Trappist beers and cheeses. Discover the Abbey of Scourmont, located on a plateau near Chimay.
- Saint Paul’s Cathedral (Liège)© WBT - J. JeanmartLiège
Saint Paul’s Cathedral (Liège)Built in the 10th century, Saint Paul collegiate church will be upgraded to the rank of cathedral in the 19th century, following the destruction of Saint Lambert cathedral during the French revolution.
- The Brasserie du Val Dieu and its abbey (Aubel)© Abbaye du Val-DieuAubel
The Brasserie du Val Dieu and its abbey (Aubel)The Cistercian abbey of Val Dieu is a major site for pilgrimage and traditional Belgian beers in Belgium.
- The collegiate church of Saint-Barthélemy and its baptismal fonts© WBT - J.P. RemyLiège
The collegiate church of Saint-Barthélemy and its baptismal fontsPlanning a city break in Liège? Take the time to visit the oldest building in the Fiery City, the Saint-Bartholomy collegiate church. This 12th-century building, at the very heart of the town centre and a few minutes' walk from the Meuse river, opens its doors to visitors on request.
- Notre-Dame de Huy collegiate church and its treasury© WBT - David SamynHuy
Notre-Dame de Huy collegiate church and its treasuryListed as outstanding heritage of Wallonia, the Notre Dame and Saint Domitien collegiate church in Huy took over 200 years to build, all in remarkable Gothic style.