Forget dusty, boring museums. There are many to discover in Wallonia, each with its own universe, its own atmosphere. Some are vibrant, others quirky or immersive. All are incredibly welcoming, aiming at making learning fun. Exploring them is a pure delight, whether you are coming on your own, with family or friends.
We do our best to keep our information up to date but it's always best to check with the site you hope to visit before heading there - by phone, email, social media or simply by visiting their website - to see their latest opening hours and entry conditions.
- Musée Royal de Mariemont | Morlanwelz© Musée royal de MariemontMorlanwez
Musée Royal de Mariemont | MorlanwelzOpened since 1975, set in a splendid park, the Musée royal de Mariemont features collections gathered by its founder Raoul Waroqué.
- Mahymobiles: a car museum in Leuze-en-Hainaut© Mahymobiles - Jan D'HondtLeuze-en-Hainaut
Mahymobiles: a car museum in Leuze-en-HainautMahymobiles holds a remarkable collection of veteran, vintage and classic vehicles, 300 of which are on public display. Walk into the entrance hall and you are greeted by a dusty Delahaye. Look out for the unique De Mola coupé, a Rolls-Royce Phantom III and a Delaunay Belleville among other gems. Belgian brands such as
- L Museum: Louvain-La-Neuve's university museum© JP BougnetOttignies-Louvain-la-Neuve
L Museum: Louvain-La-Neuve's university museumLocated Place des Sciences, Louvain-la-Neuve's university museum or L Museum, invites you to discover its rich interdisciplinary collections. This new cultural and art space has found its home in the former Science and Technology Library, at the very heart of the student district.
- Let nature wow you at the Virelles Aquascope© WBT - Bruno D'AlimonteVirelles
Let nature wow you at the Virelles AquascopeThe Aquascope offers visitors quite fantastic adventures - from discovering the most beautiful pond in Wallonia to tree tops...
- BPS22, one of the largest art museums in Wallonia© WBT - Denis ErroyauxCharleroi
BPS22, one of the largest art museums in WalloniaThe BPS22, one of the largest art museums in Wallonia, stands out with its stunning architecture: an industrial glass and iron casing, built in 1911. Its fascinating program of exhibitions and activities make it an iconic stop for all culture lovers in Charleroi.
- Musée de l'Industrie, Bois du Cazier© WBT - J.P. RemyCharleroi
Musée de l'Industrie, Bois du CazierThe Musée de l'Industrie, in the Bois du Cazier, South of Charleroi, takes you back to the industrial revolution era.
- The Domaine de Palogne, a leisure centre along the Ourthe© Domaine de PalogneVieuxville
The Domaine de Palogne, a leisure centre along the OurtheThe Domaine de Palogne invites you to discover its enchanting setting where nature, history and relaxation meet.
- The Musée du Pays d'Ourthe-Amblève in Comblain-au-Pont© Musée du Pays d'Ourthe-AmblèveComblain-Au-Pont
The Musée du Pays d'Ourthe-Amblève in Comblain-au-PontHoused in an old presbytery dating from the 17th century, the Musée du Pays d'Ourthe-Amblève, invites visitors on a fascinating journey in the history of man, from Prehistoric times to today.
- The Keramis Ceramic Centre© KeramisLa Louvière
The Keramis Ceramic CentreDiscover the new Centre Keramis de la Louvière. A museum dedicated to ceramics and earthenware installed on the site of the factory Royal Boch ....
- The Ferme du Caillou, Napoleon's last headquarters before the Battle of Waterloo© Brabant wallonVieux-Genappe
The Ferme du Caillou, Napoleon's last headquarters before the Battle of WaterlooThe museum retraces, though a clever scenography, the night spent here by Napoleon, just before the Battle of Waterloo. The scenography recreates the atmosphere of the Emperor's headquarters through a clever setting and a selection of objects dating back to 1815.
- Travel 5,000 years in time at the Archéosite and the Musée d'Aubechies© Archéosite AubechiesAubechies
Travel 5,000 years in time at the Archéosite and the Musée d'AubechiesThe Archeosite and Museum of Aubechies, dedicated to the era separating Pre-history from Roman times, is the largest archaeological open-air museum in Belgium.
- Source O Rama: the journey a little drop of water in the big world© SourceOrama - Didier GémisChaudfontaine
Source O Rama: the journey a little drop of water in the big worldVisitors can discover the many secrets of fresh water at Source O Rama, in the heart of the Parc des Sources de Chaudfontaine. This fun, family-friendly visit can be combined with a stroll through the nearby Modern Art Museum, the ArtHouse.
- Baugnez 44 Historical Center: a museum dedicated to the Battle of the Bulge© Fondation Baugnez 44Malmedy
Baugnez 44 Historical Center: a museum dedicated to the Battle of the BulgeThe Baugnez 44 Historical Center is considered one of the most beautiful of the Battle of the Bulge museums.
- The steam railway museum of the Three Valleys | Treignes© CFV3V - Guillaume AllardTreignes
The steam railway museum of the Three Valleys | TreignesSet in a former international station, the museum retraces Belgium's railway and industrial history
- Hôpital Notre-Dame à la Rose et le jardin du cloître à Lessines© Francis VaubanLessines
Hôpital Notre-Dame à la Rose et le jardin du cloître à LessinesSituated in the province of Hainaut, near the city of Tournai, this hospital is a unique witness to the way medieval hospitals operate.
- The Château de Seneffe, its estate and its Silverware Museum© Domaine de Seneffe asbl - Francis VaubanSeneffe
The Château de Seneffe, its estate and its Silverware MuseumThe Château de Seneffe estate and its Museum feature one of Belgium's most important silverware collections.
- The museum retracing the 1815 battle... from Wellington's point of view© WBT - Bruno DalimonteWaterloo
The museum retracing the 1815 battle... from Wellington's point of viewThis museum, once an inn, served as headquarters to the Duke of Wellington the night of June 17th, 1815. Right before the famous battle of Waterloo...
- The Lobbes-Thuin historic tramway© Jean-Claude AndrieuThuin
The Lobbes-Thuin historic tramwayThe Vicinal Historic Tramway Discovery Centre in Lobbes-Thuin is a museum dedicated solely to trams of all kinds: steam, electric, diesel.
- The centre of rail and stone in Jemelle© asbl Fous des RailsJemelle
The centre of rail and stone in JemelleA stone's throw from Rochefort, this museum covers the many facets of the Belgian railway network and limestone.
- Bastogne War Museum: a WW2 commemorative centre© TemporaBastogne
Bastogne War Museum: a WW2 commemorative centreThis cultural centre, dedicated to the second world war, offers an incredible immersion into the Battle of the Bulge. 4 characters, civilians and soldiers, guide the visitors through the galleries, sharing their story as they go along. An interactive, modern presentation sure to wow children and adults alike.
- Gres de la Roche: the Ardennes over time© Grès de La RocheLa Roche-En-Ardenne
Gres de la Roche: the Ardennes over timeLa Roche-en-Ardenne and its Grès de la Roche museums offer a real journey through time. The reconstituted decors prove perfect to discover the traditions of yesteryear.
- Bois-du-Luc: a UNESCO mining site, witness of the Industrial Revolution© Bernard VanroyHoudeng-Aimeries
Bois-du-Luc: a UNESCO mining site, witness of the Industrial RevolutionThe Bois-du-Luc mining site was one of the main witnesses of the industrial revolution in Wallonia. This extraordinary historical heritage, wonderfully well preserved, is protected by UNESCO.
- Mundaneum de Mons | Centre d'archives et espace muséal© Mundaneum - Frédéric RaevenMons
Mundaneum de Mons | Centre d'archives et espace muséalThe Mundaneum is an exceptional archive centre and exhibition space in Mons, known to hold 12 million bibliographic records. Le Monde describes it as the Paper Google and the New York Times as The Web Time Forgot.
- Museum of Photography | Charleroi© WBT - Denis ErroyauxMont-sur-Marchienne
Museum of Photography | CharleroiThe Museum of Photography in Charleroi is the most important photography museum in Europe. It features permanent and temporary exhibitions.
- ArtHouse: masterpieces by 20th century artists in Chaudfontaine© SourceOrama - Didier GémisChaudfontaine
ArtHouse: masterpieces by 20th century artists in ChaudfontaineThis incredible museum features in its permanent collections work by the greatest artists of the last century: Magritte, Picasso, Matisse, Warhol, Folon are only a few of the master painters to admire there. This cultural space is family friendly and a wonderful place to introduce younger generations to modern art.
- The Aulne Abbey© WBT - S. WittenbolThuin
The Aulne AbbeyThe ruins of the Cistercian Aulne Abbey are nestled on the right bank of the Sambre, in a place beautifully called "Vallée de la Paix" or Valley of peace. The atmosphere is indeed very soothing and calls for a pleasant walk.
- Visit'Entreprise| L'atelier ÔÔ Paradis des Sens à Walcourt© ÔÔ Paradis des SensWalcourt
Visit'Entreprise| L'atelier ÔÔ Paradis des Sens à WalcourtÔÔ Paradis des Sens will awaken your senses through unexpected immersive experiences in Walcourt.
- Château de Jehay | Amay© JP Rolin Province de LiegeAmay
Château de Jehay | AmayLocated in the province of Liège, the Château de Jehay offers a remarkable architecture, unique in Europe. This impressive historical building, surrounded by moats, seems to appear as if by magic as you walk past the forest.
- RIVEO: the River Interpretative Centre in Hotton© WBTHotton
RIVEO: the River Interpretative Centre in HottonLocated in the province of Luxembourg, between Durbuy and La Roche, the RIVEO Interpretative Centre features unexpected finds, all themed around rivers and their biodiversity.
- Folon Foundation: a museum and exhibitions at the Château de La Hulpe© WBT - J.P. RemyLa Hulpe
Folon Foundation: a museum and exhibitions at the Château de La HulpeBelgian artist Folon presents over 500 art works in the the Castle of La Hulpe's farm, just 20 minutes from Brussels,
- Adventure Valley Durbuy: the largest adventure park in Belgium© Adventure Valley DurbuyDurbuy
Adventure Valley Durbuy: the largest adventure park in BelgiumNear Durbuy, known as the smallest town in the world, awaits the Adventure Valley Durbuy, the largest adventure park in Belgium.
- Musée des Transports en commun de Wallonie (Liège)© Patrick ChristodouleasLiège
Musée des Transports en commun de Wallonie (Liège)Liège's Public Transport Museum invites you to (re)discover the vehicles of the past. A real journey through time!
- Maison des Géants d'Ath, une visite de taille en Wallonie© ARTHURS H - Fédération du Tourisme de la Province de HainautAth
Maison des Géants d'Ath, une visite de taille en WallonieIn November 2005, UNESCO added to its list of intangible cultural heritage the giants and fantasy figures of 9 Belgian and French cities.
- Liège Aquarium-Museum© Aquarium-Muséum de LiègeLiège
Liège Aquarium-MuseumThe Aquarium-Museum in Liège will take you on a wonderful journey through the animal and aquatic universes, featuring fish from around the world.
- Notre-Dame d'Orval Abbey: a religious and gourmet visit© OrvalVillers-devant-Orval
Notre-Dame d'Orval Abbey: a religious and gourmet visitFounded in 1132, Notre-Dame of Orval is one of the most remarkable Cistercian abbeys in Belgium. This historical location is still home to a bustling community of monks and even... a Trappist brewery.
- Préhistomuseum de Ramioul | A journey to Cro-Magnon man's time© PréhistomuseumFlémalle
Préhistomuseum de Ramioul | A journey to Cro-Magnon man's timeImagination is the wonder of children. In Wallonia, they can embody different personas on their travel adventures and transport the adults with them... At Prehistomuseum Adventure Park in Ramioul, you can channel your inner Flintstone as you try your hand at spar throwing or get comfortable in a cave. It's a place to m
- The school of yesteryear | Espace Arthur Masson (Treignes)© FT Province de NamurTreignes
The school of yesteryear | Espace Arthur Masson (Treignes)The Espace Arthur Masson, dedicated to the Belgian writer Arthur Masson, proposes an original visit in the heart of the superb Viroin valley in Belgium
- ReGare, Fosse la Ville interpretation centre© Pauline LinardFosses-La-Ville
ReGare, Fosse la Ville interpretation centreReGare, the interpretation centre dedicated to local and regional heritage, unveils all about the folk festivals of Fosses-la-Ville!
- MUDIA, a didactic art museum in Redu© MUDIA - Vassily Kandinsky, Les arabes, 1909Redu
MUDIA, a didactic art museum in ReduMark the date in your agenda! The museum MUDIA, featuring over 300 pieces from the Renaissance to the contemporary era, will open its doors in Redu (Province of Luxembourg) in September. Be prepared to see art from a different angle in Wallonia.
- The Draisines in Molignée: rail bikes perfect for a fun day out© WBTAnhée
The Draisines in Molignée: rail bikes perfect for a fun day outHave fun riding a rail bike, allowing you to travel at your own pace on former railway tracks. The trail goes through the picturesque Molignée valley, between Falaën and Maredsous.
- Maison du Patrimoine Médiéval Mosan in Dinant© G. Focant-DPatBouvignes
Maison du Patrimoine Médiéval Mosan in DinantImmerse yourself in the eventful history of the Mosan Valley thanks to the Mosan medieval heritage house. Dsiover Mosane life in Dinant.
- "Le Crocodile Rouge" - a surprising amphibious bus at the Eau d'Heure lakes© Crocodile rougeBoussu-lez-Walcourt
"Le Crocodile Rouge" - a surprising amphibious bus at the Eau d'Heure lakesExploring the Eau d'Heure Lakes (the largest water complex in Belgium) on the back of a red crocodile, in fact an amphibious bus: now there is an idea to ta
- L'Espace Chimay: discover how Trappist beer is made© Espace ChimayBourlers
L'Espace Chimay: discover how Trappist beer is madeL'Espace Chimay, dedicated to Chimay cheese and beer, presents the Chimay Experience, an interactive visit of the brewery. To be consumed with no moderation!
- The Musée de la Vie wallonne (Liège), a museum dedicated to life as it used to be in Wallonia© WBT - J.P. RemyLiège
The Musée de la Vie wallonne (Liège), a museum dedicated to life as it used to be in WalloniaThe Musée de la vie wallonne, in the heart of Liège, presents the history and lives of Wallonia from the 19th century to the present days.
- Panorama of the Battle of Waterloo battlefield: a 360° fresco© WBT - Alex KouprianoffBraine-l'Alleud
Panorama of the Battle of Waterloo battlefield: a 360° frescoThis extraordinary, full scale mural present the various scenes of the 1815 battle between Wellington and Napoleon's troops. Painted in 1912, it gives an impressive 3D feel.
- The citadel of Dinant, a fortress in the Meuse valley© WBT - J.P. RemyDinant
The citadel of Dinant, a fortress in the Meuse valleyThe citadel of Dinant promises an incredible day out. Retrace 900 years history and discover the Meuse valley in Belgium.
- Le Parc à gibier de La Roche: a wildlife park in Ardenne© S.I. La Roche-en-ArdenneLa Roche-en-Ardenne
Le Parc à gibier de La Roche: a wildlife park in ArdenneLe Parc à gibier de La Roche is a wonderful opportunity to discover the animals - cute or impressive - living in the Ardenne forest. The perfect family day out!