While the battle of the Lumecon and the ascent of the golden carriage are unmissable, Mons has many other treasures to offer you all year round which are equally captivating.
Listed as a l’UNESCO World Heritage Site, this 87-metre high edifice is the only Baroque belfry in Belgium. A proud symbol of local identity, “El Catiau” as the locals affectionately call it, was erected in the 17th century. Recently, a museum dedicated to its history and its close links to the town has been set up here.
The 'Doudou' Museum
Located in the Jardin du Mayeur, the Doudou Museum invites you to discover the Ducasse, a gem of world heritage and the folklore of Mons. Enter its universe and attend a legendary combat between Saint George and the dragon!
Ther Sainte-Waudru Collegiate
This impressive Gothic collegiate church was built from 1450 to 1621. It will amaze you with its splendid alabaster statues by Jacques Du Broeucq, its magnificent 16th-century stained-glass windows and even its treasury, one of the most beautiful collections of religious jewellery in Belgium. St Waltrude’s Collegiate Church conceals other gems that are well-rooted in the folklore of Mons.
Want an original tour which combines authenticity, exchange and sharing? The Greeters of Mons are a series of volunteers passionate about their town and ready to make you discover it through their eyes and sharing their favourite places, good addresses, anecdotes, etc.
More to visit in Mons
Label, certification or network
- Théâtre Royal de Mons© WBT - J.P. RemyMons
Théâtre Royal de MonsCreated between 1841 and 1843, the Theátre Royal is stunning neo classical building on the Grand Place de Mons, with arcades on street level.
- BAM - Musée des Beaux-Arts in Mons© Oswald TlrMons
BAM - Musée des Beaux-Arts in MonsLe BAM, Fine Arts of Mons, is a museum to (re) discover and a space of cultural creation
- The Doudou Museum in Mons and its Jardin du Mayeur© Serge BrisonMons
The Doudou Museum in Mons and its Jardin du MayeurLocated in the Jardin du Mayeur, the Doudou Museum invites you to discover the rich world of the Ducasse, listed as world heritage.
- Mons Belfry: a fascinating monument© Visitmons - Gregory MathelotMons
Mons Belfry: a fascinating monumentDiscover the full beauty of Belgium's only baroque belfry by taking its panoramic lift and enjoying the view over the city.
- Maison Léon Losseau: an Art Nouveau gem in Mons© Fondation Losseau - photo WBT - J.P. RemyMons
Maison Léon Losseau: an Art Nouveau gem in MonsPassing through Mons? Be sure to visit the Maison Losseau, a jewel of Art Nouveau architecture located in the heart of the Doudou's city.
- Saint-Calixte Chapel and Castle Comtal Museum in Mons© WBT- Pierre PauquayMons
Saint-Calixte Chapel and Castle Comtal Museum in MonsThe Chapelle Saint-Calixte de Mons is home to the Château Comtal museum. We discover an exhibition on the Belfry, the remains and other frescoes.
- Mons' town hall's monkey© WBT - J.P.RemyMons
Mons' town hall's monkey"What woman wants, Monkey can get for her"
- The Sainte-Waudru collegiate church© WBT - Olivier LegardienMons
The Sainte-Waudru collegiate churchThe treasury at the Saint Waudru collegiate church in Mons houses a beautiful collection of silver and gold religious icons: statues, paintings and ancient manuscripts dating from the 12th-19th centuries. The church is built in Gothic style Brabant from the 15th to the 17th centuries, with splendid alabaster statues of
- Mons Regional Natural Science Museum© WBT- Pierre PauquayMons
Mons Regional Natural Science MuseumMons Regional Natural Science Museum is a free museum sure to satisfy your thirst for knowledge.
- Mundaneum: Mons paper Google© Mundaneum - Frédéric RaevenMons
Mundaneum: Mons paper GoogleThe Mundaneum is an exceptional archive centre and exhibition space in Mons, known to hold 12 million bibliographic records. Le Monde describes it as the Paper Google and the New York Times as The Web Time Forgot.
- The Arthothèque: discover the life of museums backstage© ArtothèqueMons
The Arthothèque: discover the life of museums backstageThe Arthothèque reveals the hidden life of no less than 50,000 artworks, their renovations, the way they are stored and protected when not on show to the public.
- François Duesberg museum (Mons)© C. CarpentierMons
François Duesberg museum (Mons)Located in the former premises of the National Bank of Belgium, opposite the Sainte-Waudru collegiate church, this museum offers a fascinating insight in the life of French society from the reign of Louis XVI to the Restoration. Dedicated to decorative art, its collections feature quite unusual, if not rare, pieces.
- Triobalade: take a tricycle to visit Mons© Arthur HMons
Triobalade: take a tricycle to visit MonsDiscover Mons in a memorable way! Simply jump on a tricycle and choose your trail: cultural, romantic or foodie.
- Maison de la Mémoire de Mons and Couvent des Sœurs Noires© WBT- Pierre PauquayMons
Maison de la Mémoire de Mons and Couvent des Sœurs Noires
- MMM: Mons Mémorial Museum© Ville de Mons - Mara de SarioMons
MMM: Mons Mémorial MuseumThe city of the Doudou invites you to discover the MMM or Mons Memorial Museum: a new cultural space retracing its story through the two world wars.
- The Strépy-Thieu funicular lift, a river gem in Wallonia© WBT - S. WittenbolThieu
The Strépy-Thieu funicular lift, a river gem in WalloniaLocated on the Canal du Centre, the Strépy-Thieu funicular lift is the largest boat lift and its 73.15 metres incline is the largest in the world. An absolute must see if you are travelling through the Hainaut region.
- The Brasserie Saint-Lazare© Brasserie Saint-LazareMons
The Brasserie Saint-LazareThe Brasserie Saint-Lazare specialises in bespoke beer... Come and discover the brewery in Mons how the magic happens.
- Lago: a swimming pool for sports, fun and relaxation lovers in Mons© LAGOMons
Lago: a swimming pool for sports, fun and relaxation lovers in MonsThis aquatic space in Mons offers a fantastic range of fun attractions for the whole family.
- Nimy museum: ceramics and potteries from Mons ans its region© JD - Musée de NimyNimy
Nimy museum: ceramics and potteries from Mons ans its regionNimy was once famous for its exquisite china skills. A page of history you can explore fully in the town's museum, home to a fascinating collection of potteries as well as other crafts mastered in the region.
- Maison Van Gogh, the Marais' house in Cuesmes© Jean-François BerhinCuesmes
Maison Van Gogh, the Marais' house in CuesmesLocated near Mons, the Maison du Marais is dedicated to Vincent Van Gogh, one of the greatest painters from the 19th century.
- The Héribus mining heap near Mons: a superb viewpoint© Pierre PauquayMons
The Héribus mining heap near Mons: a superb viewpointWalk all the way up this mining heap, a memory of Le Borinage's former key industry, to enjoy a superb view over Mons...
- Maison des Sciences de la Vie et de la Terre (Obourg)© Hervé StiévenartMons
Maison des Sciences de la Vie et de la Terre (Obourg)The Maison des Sciences de la Vie et de la Terre, in Obourg, aims at raising the public's awareness of natural and environmental science.
- Visit the former quarry of Obourg© ASBL Maison des Sciences de la Vie et de la Terre - Michel Van ReysenMons
Visit the former quarry of ObourgThe Maison des Sciences de la Vie et de la Terre invites you to enjoy a guided tour the quarry of Obourg (Mons), redeveloped as a natural, educational area. A nature guide will presen the local flora and fauna of this incredible ecosystem: wild orchids, gulls, deer... live by the limestone cliffs.
- SILEX'S Mons: the Neolithic flint mines of Spiennes© Ville de Mons - Serge BrisonSpiennes
SILEX'S Mons: the Neolithic flint mines of SpiennesJust 6 km from Mons, the Neolithic flint mines of Spiennes or SILEX'S, listed by UNESCO, are well worth a visit...
- The Saint-Symphorien military cemetery© HCT-C.CarpentierSaint-Symphorien
The Saint-Symphorien military cemeteryPause for a moment of silence in one of the most beautiful military cemeteries in Belgium, 2 km from Mons.