With their black silhouettes, the slag heaps do not have a good reputation. Yet these are places where nature and greenery have vigorously reclaimed their territory from heavy industry.
Attraction & type of activity
- Page 1
- BPS22, one of the largest art museums in Wallonia© WBT - Denis ErroyauxCharleroi
BPS22, one of the largest art museums in WalloniaThe BPS22, one of the largest art museums in Wallonia, stands out with its stunning architecture: an industrial glass and iron casing, built in 1911. Its fascinating program of exhibitions and activities make it an iconic stop for all culture lovers in Charleroi.
- Gemotions, a thrilling scavenger hunt with challenges sent by text© GemotionsAround Wallonia
Gemotions, a thrilling scavenger hunt with challenges sent by textGemotions crates modern scavenger hunts. All you need is a mobile phone: riddles and challenges will be sent by text, a fun way to discover a city, a secret gem, a park, a museum... You can also create your own trail on their website.
- Musée de l'Industrie, Bois du Cazier© WBT - J.P. RemyCharleroi
Musée de l'Industrie, Bois du CazierThe Musée de l'Industrie, in the Bois du Cazier, South of Charleroi, takes you back to the industrial revolution era.
- The Glass Museum at the Bois du Cazier© Ville de CharleroiMarcinelle
The Glass Museum at the Bois du CazierThe Glass Museum, at the Bois du Cazier in Marcinelle, retraces five thousand years of art, history and technology.
- The Bois du Cazier and its heaps: a remarkable memorial site© WBT - J.P. RemyMarcinelle
The Bois du Cazier and its heaps: a remarkable memorial siteListed by UNESCO as one of the major mining sites in Wallonia, the Bois du Cazier is a particularly touching memorial. Located South of Charleroi, this preserved industrial heritage site stretches along 26 hectares. A remarkable orientation trail has been designed to present its 3 heaps and architectural features.
- Museum of Photography | Charleroi© WBT - Denis ErroyauxMont-sur-Marchienne
Museum of Photography | CharleroiThe Museum of Photography in Charleroi is the most important photography museum in Europe. It features permanent and temporary exhibitions.
- The Aulne Abbey© WBT - S. WittenbolGozée
The Aulne AbbeyThe ruins of the Cistercian Aulne Abbey are nestled on the right bank of the Sambre, in a place beautifully called "Vallée de la Paix" or Valley of peace. The atmosphere is indeed very soothing and calls for a pleasant walk.
- Culture and Gourmet Pleasures in the Pays de Charleroi© WBT - Christophe VandercamGerpinnes
Culture and Gourmet Pleasures in the Pays de CharleroiThe appeal of the Pays de Charleroi is unquestionably its diversity
- The Claire-Fontaine leisure centre in Godarville© WBT - Denis ErroyauxChapelle-lez-Herlaimont
The Claire-Fontaine leisure centre in GodarvilleThe Domaine de la Claire-Fontaine in Godarville has activities for the whole family. Swimming, adventures, sport, fishing but also relaxing ones...
- The belfry of Thuin, listed by UNESCO© WBT - David SamynThuin
The belfry of Thuin, listed by UNESCOListed by UNESCO for its remarkable VIIth century architecture, the belfry of Thuin, guarantees a stunning panorama of the region. Visitors get the opportun
- The Vicinal Historic Tramway Discovery Centre in Lobbes-Thuin© Jean-Claude AndrieuThuin
The Vicinal Historic Tramway Discovery Centre in Lobbes-ThuinThe Vicinal Historic Tramway Discovery Centre in Lobbes-Thuin is a museum dedicated solely to trams of all kinds: steam, electric, diesel.
- Saint-Christophe church | Charleroi© Leslie ArtamonowCharleroi
Saint-Christophe church | CharleroiThis chapel, commissioned by Louis XIV and dedicated to Saint Louis, was worked on in 1722. It thereafter paid tribute to Saint Christophe.
- The Belfry of Charleroi, part of the UNESCO World Heritage.© WBT-Christophe VandercamCharleroi
The Belfry of Charleroi, part of the UNESCO World Heritage.his belfry, part of Charleroi's City Hall, was designed by architect Joseph André in 1936. A perfect combination of classicism and art deco in architecture, it was built of blue and white stone as well as bricks.
- The Chaîne des Terrils: the green hills of the Black Country© WBT - Julie NevenCharleroi
The Chaîne des Terrils: the green hills of the Black CountryThe Boucle Noire (Black Loop, 23 km) hiking trail in Charleroi reveals its industrial past and green recovery. A smaller loop (5 km) also exists.
- The Urban Dream project: a street art trail in Charleroi© Mireille SimonCharleroi4.6 km
The Urban Dream project: a street art trail in Charleroi
- Car-free | Charleroi - Erquelinnes© WBT - Railtrip / HikeupCharleroi
Car-free | Charleroi - Erquelinnes
- Charlerooms | Escape games in Charleroi© CharleroomsCharleroi
Charlerooms | Escape games in CharleroiThe recreational centre Charlesroom organises immersive escape rooms, perfect to have fun with friend and family.
- The Musée des Chasseurs à Pied, a military museum in Charleroi© WBT - Christophe VandercamCharleroi
The Musée des Chasseurs à Pied, a military museum in CharleroiThis large building is quite noticeable when exploring Charleroi. A former barrack for infantry, Trésignie now is home to a museum dedicated to the brave regiment of the Chasseurs à Pied.
- Le Vecteur | A cultural and artistic space in Charleroi© Leslie ArtamonowCharleroi
Le Vecteur | A cultural and artistic space in CharleroiLe Vecteur is a cultural centre in Charleroi, located in the former settings of the Vaudeville Theatre.
- La Manufacture Urbaine à Charleroi© CAFEIN AgencyCharleroi
La Manufacture Urbaine à CharleroiYou are expected at the Manufacture Urbaine, a brand new place opened since spring 2017 in the heart of Charleroi, on the banks of the Sambre.
- Quai 10 (Charleroi)© Quai10Charleroi
Quai 10 (Charleroi)Quai 10, in Charleroi, is dedicated to interactive and animated pictures. The site brings together contemporary images, cinema and video games. The idea? Offer a space designed for a wide audience to exchange and reflect on visual effects.
- MBArts - Musée des Beaux-Arts de Charleroi© FTLB - P. WillemsCharleroi
MBArts - Musée des Beaux-Arts de CharleroiLocated in the centre of Charleroi, the Musée des Beaux-Arts offers works by Belgian artists from the 19th century to the present day.
- The ways of Saint James in Wallonia© Free PhotosAround Wallonia
The ways of Saint James in WalloniaListed by UNESCO, the ways of Saint James are world famous. The one rule? The adventure starts from your doorstep and finishes in Santiago (Spain). Pilgrims, of course have favourited specific routes through time, with no less than 7 going through Wallonia. Follow the blue and yellow signs featuring a scallop shells...
- The Charleroi Adventure City Safari, a new way to discover the city© Mister-CCharleroi
The Charleroi Adventure City Safari, a new way to discover the cityCharleroi was once named by a Dutch suvey "the ugliest city in the world"... To fight that reputation, a passionate citizen created an urban safari: a wonderful way to (re)discover the buildings and characters who made this post-industrial city famous.
- Charleroi comic book trail© WBT - Christophe VandercamCharleroi2 km
Charleroi comic book trail
- The Rockerill: an industrial site turned into an alternative cultural space© Charleroi communication - Luc DenruyterMarchienne-au-Pont
The Rockerill: an industrial site turned into an alternative cultural spaceCharleroi decided to turn its industrial sites dating from the 19th century into fascinating artistic stages: a wonderful way to show how dynamic the city is and give the visitors a unique experience.
- DD Spiritueux: an artisanal distillery in Jumet© PixabayJumet
DD Spiritueux: an artisanal distillery in JumetPeket, ratafia, rum, liqueurs, apéritifs, digestif are very much loved for the touch of cheerfulness they bring to a meal. DD Spiritueux, an artisanal distillery in Jumet, invites you to learn how these spirits are made. The visit will of course conclude with a delicious tasting. A fantastic tasting rich in discoveries
- Couillet's orchard and didactic apiary in Parentville© Charleroi - NatureCouillet
Couillet's orchard and didactic apiary in ParentvilleVisit the orchard named " verger de Parentville" as well as its didactic apiary with a beekeeper and a guide from the Charleroi Nature association.
- Centre for Scientific Culture of the Free University of Brussels© Centre de Culture Scientifique - ULBCouillet
Centre for Scientific Culture of the Free University of BrusselsThe Centre or Scientific Culture of the ULB is located on the Parentville Campus in Charleroi. Its mission is to promote scientific culture ....
- Marcinelle Leisure Centre© Rita EMarcinelle
Marcinelle Leisure CentreSwimming pool and nautical centre
- Nelson Mandela Park | Monceau-sur-Sambre© Gina SantinMonceau-sur-Sambre
Nelson Mandela Park | Monceau-sur-SambreThis 67-hectare park, in Monceau-sur-Sambre (Hainaut), is well worth the detour. 28 didactic panels, along the path, give information about the various trees planted there.
- The Ferme du Marais© WBT - M. Vander LindenRoux
The Ferme du MaraisDairy and agricultural farm.
- The Lardinois pottery© FTLB - P. WillemsBouffioulx
The Lardinois potteryIn 1986, Alain and Didier Lardinois opened their pottery shop in Bouffioulx. Proud of 20 years of experience supporting prestigious manufacturers (Guérin sandstone workshops, for example), these two master potters try to preserve the regional style of this art.
- Maison de Magritte in Châtelet© Ville de Châtelet – Service Culture 2020Châtelet
Maison de Magritte in ChâteletDiscover the village of Châtelet, childhood home of the surrealist painter René Magritte ....
- Visit Le Fond de la Biche, an art workshop near Charleroi© LDV ProductionGoutroux
Visit Le Fond de la Biche, an art workshop near CharleroiLe Fond de la Biche, well isolated from the world, is the perfect place to celebrate creativity. No wonder that artist Geneviève Vanstrade set up her workshop and art (gallery) carriage there...
- La Grange aux Potiers> the Dubois pottery and its museum (Bouffioulx)© LDV ProductionBouffioulx
La Grange aux Potiers> the Dubois pottery and its museum (Bouffioulx)Nestled in a farm, at the heart of the village of Bouffioulx,the Dubois pottery reveals to visitors the skills of creating glazed pieces from the local sandstone (internationally famous), an art which started in medieval times in this region andis still kept alive.
- Pilot a Boeing 737 at the European Flight Simulator (Gosselies)© Jeff BaucheCharleroi
Pilot a Boeing 737 at the European Flight Simulator (Gosselies)A unique immersive experience in Belgium! Thanks to this flight simulator, you will get a chance to pilot the airline the most sold in the world, the Boeing 737 NG. The cockpit, complete with a panoramic screen, is a perfect replica.
- The La Posterie garden | Courcelles© JP LenioCourcelles
The La Posterie garden | CourcellesDiscover this stunning garden at the heart of Courcelles. This former urban wasteland now features educational vegetable patches, areas for wildflowers, a wide variety of birds, mammals and insects.
- Landelies Leisure Marina - Montigny© YCHSLandelies
Landelies Leisure Marina - MontignyFounded in 1985, YCHS-Landelies has been managing the Landelies leisure marina and its infrastructures since 1991.
- Stop Aux Saveurs des Fraises du Village to try Gerpinnes strawberries© WBT - Emmanuel MathezGerpinnes
Stop Aux Saveurs des Fraises du Village to try Gerpinnes strawberriesLocated in the village of Gerpinnes, this shop and tasting room offers strawberries grown in Wallonia's largest fruit and vegetable farm.
- Eytelia: discover the benefits of organic food supplements in Courcelles© Eytalia.euCourcelles
Eytelia: discover the benefits of organic food supplements in CourcellesEytelia, the world leader in organic silica-based products, open the doors of its company in Courcelles: a rare opportunity to step into a production lab in Wallonia.
- CHATEAU D'ACOZ© FTLB - P. WillemsAcoz
CHATEAU D'ACOZThe Château d'Acoz is set in the heart of the Biesme valley, in grounds with gardens, ponds, meadows, woods and hills.
- Mini cruises between the Aulne abbey and Thuin on a narrowboat© MT - Pays des Lacs - C. CharueFontaine-l'Evêque
Mini cruises between the Aulne abbey and Thuin on a narrowboatAlways fancied a cruise on a narrowboat? Join the captain of the Gavroche (mear the prestigious abbey of Aulne, 10 km of Charleroi and 30 km from France) for a fantastic time on the river. The boat, painted in cheerful colours, offers a wonderful way to admire the villages of Landelies, Erquelinnes, Thuin, Lobbes...
- Café Leblon | Boats without permits for cruises on the Sambre© JPohlThuin
Café Leblon | Boats without permits for cruises on the SambreCafé Leblon rents boats without permits: a fantastic opportunity to relax on the Sambre, near the Aulne Abbey. On the way back, indulge a refreshing, locally made beer or an ice-cream on the terrace of the establishment.
- Ferme de Raz Buzée à Gerpinnes© Delphine VangeenderhuysenGerpinnes
Ferme de Raz Buzée à GerpinnesDairy family farm specializing in the homemade production of raw milk cheese from cows, in Gerpinnes.
- The Aulne Abbey brewery and its restaurant | Gozée© WBT - S. WittenbolGozée
The Aulne Abbey brewery and its restaurant | GozéeThis Belgian artisanal brewery makes certified Acknowledged Belgian Abbey Beer at the heart of the historical ruins of the Cistercian Aulne Abbey.
- Château de Trazegnies© Charleroi Tourisme Gina SantinTrazegnies
Château de TrazegniesLocated between Mons and Namur, the Château de Trazegnies, dating back to the XIth century, is a precious example of Belgian feudal architecture.
- Gerpinnes natural garden© Le MagnoliaGerpinnes
Gerpinnes natural gardenVisit this pleasant pilot garden, planted exclusively with local varieties and located in the sweet village of Gerpines (Province of Hainaut).
- Page 1