- Guided tour and discovery
Located near Liège, Blegny-Mine is one of the four authentic coal mines in Europe with underground galleries accessible for the visitors through the original shaft. A recognised UNESCO world heritage, the site is also of great interest from a biodiversity point of view. Do explore its slag heap and discover the plants that have become established there or follow the tree trail.
A mining heap, two biotopes
- On the North side: a dense forest-like vegetation home to badgers, hedgehogs, roe deer, warbler, grasshoppers
- On the South side: more arid, this flank is home to small grass plants, lichen, flowers used to little water and desert locus
- In the pond: look out for midwife toads and colourful dragonflies
A 1 km trail goes around the site. Panels along the way as well as an audio guide will tell you....
- How this pile of rocks gathered life
- About the species living there
- Why a mining heap can burn...
At the top of the hill, an orientation table will help you understand the landscape.
The tree trail
A lovely route, with delightful artwork presenting the various species.
Minimum distance : 1 Km
German - English - French - Dutch