- Walking or hiking
- Trekking & hiking
From the heart of Verviers, water capital of Wallonia, follow this fantastic itinerary to discover pretty fountains, hints of the textile past of this former wool-producing city, the monuments of Verviers and the banks of the Vesdre.
The story of Verviers started centuries ago, when the water from the Vesdre gave wool an incomparable feel, making it famous all the way to the Mediterranean. With the Gileppe dam, the Stembert treatment station, the Société Wallonne des Eaux and Société Publique de Gestion de l’Eau (both managing local waters), Verviers is once again linked with water.
Start: rue Jules Cerexhe, 86 à Verviers
Duration: 4-5 km
- Start from the Maison du Tourisme du Pays de Vesdre
- Discover 15 fountains, some quite magnificent (like the one by the Ortmans monument), others linked to the textile part of the region (like the Busettes one)
- Walk past the most beautiful monuments in Verviers
- Wander along the Vesdres and enjoy its flora and fauna. You will notice South African and Australian plants: the wool at the time came from these locations.
Along the way
- The Société Royale d’Harmonie
- The central station
- The post office
- The Town Hall