- Woodland, nature reserve or natural area
- Natural Park
Belgium's oldest (and largest) nature reserve! Depending on the season, this exceptional biotope will look enchanting, surreal, eerie even.
A park across borders
With its moorlands and peat bogs, forests and streams, man-made reservoirs, and picturesque villages, the High Fens-Eifel Nature Park offers an amazing palette of landscapes. The site, which stretches over Belgium and Germany is divided in six areas. Four are in Wallonia. This square is defined by 4 towns at its edges: Eupen, Montjoie (Monschau), Malmedy and Spa:
- The approaches to the fens or Avant-Pays Fagnard extend to the north-west. The forests, gently rolling hills, and vast meadows grazed by dairy cattle contribute to the incontestable charm of the hills that rise towards the Eifel.
- Once past this sloping land known as the déclivité fagnarde, you reach the High Fens Plateau. It is the highest part of Belgium, with high points culminating at 672 m (Baraque Michel) and 694 m (Signal de Botrange) above sea level. Here the forests give way to a vast open expanse, a land of peat bogs criss-crossed by moors that is unique in Europe. Marked path allow visitors to explore it safely... It's as pretty in bloom in spring that covered with frost in winter
- Then, to the south, rises the Upper Eifel, with its high wooded hills, man-made lakes, and picturesque Ur Valley.
Good to know
- Don't miss the Maison du Parc-Botrange and its nature museum
- Guided tours can be organised on request
- PRM access in some parts of the Fagnes. Possibility to rend a joelette (a single wheel all-terrain chair)
Before getting on the road, do contact the closest tourist office to your destination. If you are going to the Hautes Fagnes, please remember the number of visitors is limited each day. The Hautes Fagnes Tourist Office will give you the latest details. The Luxembourg and East Cantons Tourist Office will give you the ski slopes opening times. For additional skiing and winter sports information in Belgium, you can contact the East Contons Tourist Office.
Motor Home parking
Guide available/groups - German - EN - FR - NL - Guide available/individuals - DE - EN - FR - NL