- Religious heritage
The former Wachet hermitage, now known as the Notre-Dame du Refuge chapel, was first been mentioned on written documents in 1559. It takes its name from the little stream by its side. The first way of the cross, renovated recently, was blessed in 1842. The site has been added as monument and site to the list of Exceptional Heritage Estates in Wallonia.
The Wachet hermitage
Families from the nearby village of Saint-Léger lived at the hermitage between 1559 and 1783, at which date Joseph II banned all hermitages in the country. The chapel was a later addition, built between 1615 and 1668. It was renovated in 1838 and now is used again for religious purposes.
The way of the cross
The parish archives mention the first wooden way of the cross on the path leading to the chapel as blessed in 1842. Towards the end of the 19th century, it was replaced by the one you can see today. Two stone-cutting families of Saint-Léger designed the 14 stations, each 3 metres high. They have recently been renovated.
- Possibility for groups to go to the Conchibois lake in Saint-Léger, a relaxing bathing site.
- The tourist information in Saint-Léger can provide information on the local hikes (marked trails ranging from 2 to 9 km)
Minimum distance : 2 Km
Maximum distance : 9 Km
Guide available/groups - FR - NL