- Sport and relaxation
- Walking or hiking
- Hiking trails
- Trekking & hiking
Welcome to La Grande Traversée: Wallonia's GR (Grande Randonnée ou Long Hike) itinerary, complete with bivouacs every 15 km. Get your backpack ready, pick up your tent and explore the Pays de Chimay Forest...
- Start from Macquenoise or Sivry and head towards Froidchapelle, Chimay, Couvin, Viroinval.
- The route then goes either towards Philippeville (station) or Doische and finishes at the Hastière station.
- There are 9 bivouacs along the way for you to rest, each at equal distance from the other.
Along the way
La Grande Traversée goes through the Viroin-Hermeton nature park and passes remarkable touristic sites such as:
- Chimay castle
- Virelles aquascope
- The Neptune caves
- Vierves-sur-Viroin and Lompret, two of the prettiest villages in Wallonia
- Treignes, a village known for its many museums
- You can walk the Grande Traversée on your own or with a guide all year except during hunting season. Please check the dates with the local Tourist Office before leaving.
- A trapper stay can also be organised (one or several days, guide included
Maximum distance : 178 Km