- Sport and relaxation
- Walking or hiking
- Hiking trails
- Trekking & hiking
Welcome to La Grande Traversée: Wallonia's GR (Grande Randonnée ou Long Hike) itinerary, complete with bivouacs every 15 km. Get your backpack ready, pick up your tent and explore the Pays de Chimay Forest...
- Start from Macquenoise or Sivry and head towards Froidchapelle, Chimay, Couvin, Viroinval.
- The route then goes either towards Philippeville (station) or Doische and finishes at the Hastière station.
- There are 9 bivouacs along the way for you to rest, each at equal distance from the other.
Along the way
La Grande Traversée goes through the Viroin-Hermeton nature park and passes remarkable touristic sites such as:
- Chimay castle
- Virelles aquascope
- The Neptune caves
- Vierves-sur-Viroin and Lompret, two of the prettiest villages in Wallonia
- Treignes, a village known for its many museums
- You can walk the Grande Traversée on your own or with a guide all year except during hunting season. Please check the dates with the local Tourist Office before leaving.
- A trapper stay can also be organised (one or several days, guide included
Before getting on the road, do contact the closest tourist office to your destination. If you are going to the Hautes Fagnes, please remember the number of visitors is limited each day. The Hautes Fagnes Tourist Office will give you the latest details. The Luxembourg and East Cantons Tourist Office will give you the ski slopes opening times. For additional skiing and winter sports information in Belgium, you can contact the East Contons Tourist Office.