- Folklore and Tradition
This carnival finds its origin in a picturesque, heart-warming character called Gugusse. Get to know him better in Marche-en-Famenne this season: the carnival guarantees 5 full days of festivities.
Taking a stroll through the capital of the Famenne region, you will discover the surprising story of the Grosse Biesse (or large beast, similar to a dragon), who gave its name to the carnival. Many more picturesque creatures join the festivities: Grand Georges (the last bell ringer of the city), Grand Mautchî (who used to be called, until 1995, the Carnival Prince)
- Night walks: information on the local shops' windows, where you can also sign up for the excursions.
- Show for the whole family
- Procession of the local guilds
- Induction ceremony of the Grande Mautchwesse
- Concert in the evening
- Entertainment by the Gilles
- Carnival procession
- Evening party under the marquee
- Inquisitional Tribunal
- Evening Feast of the Gilles
- Procession of the Gugusses
- Burning of the Gugusses' "Bag of tricks"
- Fancy dress evening
- Burning of the Gilles' hump
The local guilds and associations also take part in the event, and this since 1960. Folklore is very much alive in Marche-en-Famenne.
Event planned for the month of February 2022 (1)
(1) Dates and programme may be subject to change.