- Museum or Interpretation Centre
The Mundaneum is an exceptional archive centre and exhibition space in Mons, known to hold 12 million bibliographic records. Le Monde describes it as the Paper Google and the New York Times as The Web Time Forgot.
Listed by Unesco as exceptional heritage, the Mundaneum stores so many documents they would create a 6 km long line if put side by side... This off the beaten path gem in Wallonia can be compared to the invention of the printing press in the 15th century.
The Centre received the "European Culture Award" in 2016 for helping a shared vision: peace through culture. At the edge of this digital revolution, the Mundaneum offers a fantastic playground bringing together information and digital literacy. It is considered the ancestor of our modern web search engines. It partnered with Google in 2012.
A bit of history
The Mundaneum today
- Universal Bibliographic Repertory, which is inscribed to the UNESCO Memory of the World List.
- The International Newspaper Museum
- Personal papers from the founders
- Archives on anarchy, feminism and pacifism
- Books, posters, photographs, post cards, etc.
Visitors with specific needs
Please click here to see the list of facilities and activities accessible to visitors with reduced mobility. Wallonia has developed the Access-i program to give travellers a clear understanding of what the infrastructures offer.
Please note, on this site:
- If you are blind or visually impaired: holding rails, appropriate toilets, lifts
- If you are deaf or hard of hearing: video in sign language
Validity date: from 01-01-2020 au 31-12-2020
- Offer valid throughout 2020
- Valid for 4 persons max per voucher.
- Cannot be combined with any other ongoing promotion or offer
- This voucher must be printed and given to the ticket office on arrival
The Mons Card, to see the best of the Mons-Borinage region from 18€
The Mons Card is the perfect way to explore the Mons-Borinage region.
The museumPassmusées: free access to 172 Belgian museums for 59€
This exclusive pass, valid for a year, gives you free access to over 100 Belgian museums, Wallonia included.
Minimum duration : 1:00
Maximum duration : 1:30
Access for PRM (autodeclared) - Daylight - Shop - Wi-Fi
Guide available/groups - German - EN - FR - NL - Guide available/individuals - DE - EN - FR - NL