- Cycle ride
- Walking or hiking
- Car tours
Set off along the First World War remembrance path in the Val de Sambre and Thudinie region in Belgium - you can easily walk, cycle or drive them.
These trails follow in the footsteps of some of the great battles of the Sambre, around Lobbes, Anderlues, Gozée, Leernes and Marbaix-la-Tour.
The trails are well marked and a list of the GPS locations can be downloaded in French, Dutch and English. Each itinerary also features educational panels with QR codes, should you want to access more photos, videos and historical information.
9 trails to discover
- Following the steps of the priest-soldier Cyprien Brèthes. 7.1 km. Walk or cycle from Beaumont.
- Commandant Fernand Jacquet's roue. 3.2 km. Walk or cycle from Beaumont.
- The heroes' walk. 4.6 km. Walk or cycle from Lobbes.
- The battle of Gozée. 4 or 10.2 km. Walk or cycle from Gozée (link with Marbais-la-Tour).
- Behind the scenes of the Great War. 6.2 or 10.2 km. Walk or cycle. (link with Gozée)
- The battle of Collarmont. 4.6 km. Walk or cycle from Anderlues.
- Following the steps of the Sordet cavalry. 6.5 km. Walk form Carnières.
- On the battlefield. 4.4 km. Walk or cycle from Leernes.
- The memorial walk. 18.4 km. Drive from Fosses-la-Ville or Sambreville.
Hikers will learn all about the story of the various battles, where the soldiers were from, the civilians' life, the rescue centre, the medical help to the wounded, the soldiers' burials, the French-German cemetery.
Prepare your itinerary by visiting the official website and discover the iconic memorial sites of the region.