- Folklore and Tradition
Every year, the village of Laneffe in Wallonia comes alive for the Saint-Eloi festivities.
The Saint-Eloi march is composed of several events, such as the blessing of the horses and the Turkish March.
- Visit of the officers to the local shopkeepers, officers and caterers.
- The locals wake up to the sound of drums and flutes
- Blessing of the horses: a hundred horses will drink blessed water from the fountain, walk three times around the church then be blessed - all under the gaze of the statue of Saint Eloi
- Lunch of the officers
- Solemn mass
- Start of the procession
- The Statue of Saint Eloi is brought back to its chapel
- Turkish March: drums and flutes will play a melody unique to the EntreSambre-et-Meuse. It is said to have been inspired by a sad event, the execution of Turkish soldiers in front of what is now the bakery of the village.
- Mass with the participants of the march
- Visit to the cemetery to pay tribute to the participants having died within the past year
- Lunch, last visit to the local shopkeepers, officers and caterers
- Torchlit procession concluding the festivities
Event planned for the month of June 2021Dates and programme may be subject to change.