- Folklore and Tradition
The Saint-Pierre et Paul folkloric march has been declared intangible cultural heritage by UNESCO. A unique experience indeed...
Florennes has been celebrating this tradition, one of the largest folkloric marches in Entre-Sambre-et-Meuse for over 180 years. Throughout the festivities, which last 3 days, over 1,500 armed men wearing traditional costumes and divided into 3 companies, will join the procession in the streets of Florennes.
- 08:00 - mass in the church of Florennes
- 08:30 - departure of the procession .
- Afternoon - a battalion forming a square shape will enter the Ducs de Beaufort castle - a superb show, not to be missed.
- 20:00 - return of the procession to the church
Religious in the start, then influenced by the Napoleonian era, the processions evolved through the 20th century to the actual format. More than 2,000 persons join the tradition, fully dressed in historical costume. More information about the many marches taking place in the Entre-Sambre-et-Meuse region here.
Each march of the Entre-Sambre-et-Meuse region has its tradition and rules. more than 20,000 join them every year, dressed in historical outfits. You will find the calendar listing the marches here.
Event planned for the month of July 2021 (1)
(1) Dates and programme may be subject to change.