- Woodland, nature reserve or natural area
Wallonia now has its very own UNESCO geopark, in Famenne-Ardenne. Discover how stunning and varied the landscapes of the regions are: a perfect day out with friends and family.
What is a UNESCO Geopark?
The are unified geographical areas where sites and landscapes offer an international geological interest and are protected for educational and sustainable reasons.
There are more than 140 geoparks in over 38 countries.
An amazing diversity
The UNESCO Global Geopark Famenne-Ardenne is the very first geopark in Belgium. Stretching over 900 km², it offers an incredible range of touristic and scientific attractions:
- caves unique in Europe
- a rich biodiversity
- landscapes reflecting the nature of its soil
- local initiatives aiming at preserving and highlighting this natural heritage
- fascinating architecture made for a wide range of material
The villages of Froidlieu and Resteigne
Stop by these picturesque villages:
- In Froidieu, you will discover pretty farms, a former presbitary, the Saint-Barthelemy church and its 18th century furniture
- In Resteigne, crossed by the Lesse river, await natural gems, the ruins of an hermitage, the , a mill and famous quarries.
Before getting on the road, do contact the closest tourist office to your destination. If you are going to the Hautes Fagnes, please remember the number of visitors is limited each day. The Hautes Fagnes Tourist Office will give you the latest details. The Luxembourg and East Cantons Tourist Office will give you the ski slopes opening times. For additional skiing and winter sports information in Belgium, you can contact the East Contons Tourist Office.