- Industrial heritage
- Museum or Interpretation Centre
In the largest bluestone quarry in Belgium, a stunning show unfolds: men focusing on their task, mechanical monsters roaring beautifully, chains dragging huge blocks of limestone up the site... This visit of a working quarry will prove a memorable experience.
The Blue Stone has been the pride of Soignies for hundreds of years. Industry, cultural heritage and architecture revolve around what has been nicknamed "the little granite". The city has now been named the European Centre of the BlueStone.
Safety is at the core of the visit. The list of participants and a proof of the insurance taken the group is to be sent to the Tourist Office a week at least before the day chosen.
A few rules to follow along the visit:
- Children must be over the age of 8
- Equipment: boots or walking shoes depending on the weather (no trainers nor town footwear)
- Clothes must be adapted to the visit of a working site
- Helmet, high visibility chasuble and safety goggles (provided on site by the quarry) must be worn at all site
- The safety rules must be respected (the group must stay together with the leader/guide)
Minimum duration : 2:00
English - French - Dutch
Guide available/individuals - EN - FR - NL - Guide available/groups - EN - FR - NL