Forget dusty, boring museums. There are many to discover in Wallonia, each with its own universe, its own atmosphere. Some are vibrant, others quirky or immersive. All are incredibly welcoming, aiming at making learning fun. Exploring them is a pure delight, whether you are coming on your own, with family or friends.
We do our best to keep our information up to date but it's always best to check with the site you hope to visit before heading there - by phone, email, social media or simply by visiting their website - to see their latest opening hours and entry conditions.
- Maison du Patrimoine Médiéval Mosan in Dinant© G. Focant-DPatBouvignes
Maison du Patrimoine Médiéval Mosan in DinantImmerse yourself in the eventful history of the Mosan Valley thanks to the Mosan medieval heritage house. Dsiover Mosane life in Dinant.
- Museum of Photography | Charleroi© WBT - Denis ErroyauxMont-sur-Marchienne
Museum of Photography | CharleroiThe Museum of Photography in Charleroi is the most important photography museum in Europe. It features permanent and temporary exhibitions.
- The steam railway museum of the Three Valleys | Treignes© CFV3V - Guillaume AllardTreignes
The steam railway museum of the Three Valleys | TreignesSet in a former international station, the museum retraces Belgium's railway and industrial history
- Annevoie water gardens | Meuse Valley© WBT - J.P. RemyAnnevoie-Rouillon
Annevoie water gardens | Meuse ValleyDiscover these amazing gardens, created 250 years ago and considered one of Wallonia's cultural treasures. How could anyone resist taking a stroll between the fountains, waterfalls, ponds and stunning combination of French, Italian and English style gardens?
- Hôpital Notre-Dame à la Rose et le jardin du cloître à Lessines© Francis VaubanLessines
Hôpital Notre-Dame à la Rose et le jardin du cloître à LessinesSituated in the province of Hainaut, near the city of Tournai, this hospital is a unique witness to the way medieval hospitals operate.
- The Espace Gallo-Romain in Ath and its remarkably preserved vessels© Arthurs H. (Fédération du Tourisme de la Province du Hainaut)Ath
The Espace Gallo-Romain in Ath and its remarkably preserved vesselsThe boats and archaeological artefacts presented at the Espace Gallo-romain are the results of an exceptional discovery made in Pommeroeul in 1975. Join us on a journey through time to learn more about the Romans in Ath.
- The Musée du Pays d'Ourthe-Amblève in Comblain-au-Pont© Musée du Pays d'Ourthe-AmblèveComblain-Au-Pont
The Musée du Pays d'Ourthe-Amblève in Comblain-au-PontHoused in an old presbytery dating from the 17th century, the Musée du Pays d'Ourthe-Amblève, invites visitors on a fascinating journey in the history of man, from Prehistoric times to today.
- The Musée de la Forêt et des Eaux (Domaine de Berinzenne)© Claire HalleuxSpa
The Musée de la Forêt et des Eaux (Domaine de Berinzenne)The Forest and Waters Museum, nestled in the Domaine de Bérinzenne in Spa, reveals the many secrets of the fauna and flora of the Fagnes.
- SPARKOH!: a scientific adventures park (Frameries)© Hyacinthe ArthursFrameries
SPARKOH!: a scientific adventures park (Frameries)Le Pass is a unique attraction featuring interactive, family friendly exhibitions to approach science in a different way. The site is situated just 6 km fro
- The Lobbes-Thuin historic tramway© Jean-Claude AndrieuThuin
The Lobbes-Thuin historic tramwayThe Vicinal Historic Tramway Discovery Centre in Lobbes-Thuin is a museum dedicated solely to trams of all kinds: steam, electric, diesel.
- Stavelot Abbey: the perfect alliance of culture and adventure© WBT - J.P. RemyStavelot
Stavelot Abbey: the perfect alliance of culture and adventureStavelot Abbey, a Benedictine abbey funded in 651, is a fascinating historical site with quite a modern touch: an abseiling experience from the top of the abbey tower.
- The Fort de Logne castle and museum: a medieval day in Vieuxville© Steve CollinVieuxville
The Fort de Logne castle and museum: a medieval day in VieuxvilleLocated within easy reach of Durbuy, the castle and museum of Logne are sure to delight the family.
- Bois-du-Luc: a UNESCO mining site, witness of the Industrial Revolution© Bernard VanroyHoudeng-Aimeries
Bois-du-Luc: a UNESCO mining site, witness of the Industrial RevolutionThe Bois-du-Luc mining site was one of the main witnesses of the industrial revolution in Wallonia. This extraordinary historical heritage, wonderfully well preserved, is protected by UNESCO.
- The Bois du Cazier and its heaps: a remarkable memorial site© WBT - J.P. RemyMarcinelle
The Bois du Cazier and its heaps: a remarkable memorial siteListed by UNESCO as one of the major mining sites in Wallonia, the Bois du Cazier is a particularly touching memorial. Located South of Charleroi, this preserved industrial heritage site stretches along 26 hectares. A remarkable orientation trail has been designed to present its 3 heaps and architectural features.
- Blegny-Mine: an iconic mining site near Liège© SPW SGO4 - G. FocantBlegny
Blegny-Mine: an iconic mining site near LiègeLocated east of Liège, this site is one of the four authentic coal mines left in Europe, all listed by UNESCO. Put your jacket and helmet on: the guided tour will take you through galleries 30 to 60 m underground!
- Source O Rama: the journey a little drop of water in the big world© SourceOrama - Didier GémisChaudfontaine
Source O Rama: the journey a little drop of water in the big worldVisitors can discover the many secrets of fresh water at Source O Rama, in the heart of the Parc des Sources de Chaudfontaine. This fun, family-friendly visit can be combined with a stroll through the nearby Modern Art Museum, the ArtHouse.
- Musée Royal de Mariemont | Morlanwelz© Musée royal de MariemontMorlanwez
Musée Royal de Mariemont | MorlanwelzOpened since 1975, set in a splendid park, the Musée royal de Mariemont features collections gathered by its founder Raoul Waroqué.
- The Musée en Piconrue and the Maison des Légendes: two fascinating museums in Bastogne© Claudy RaskinBastogne
The Musée en Piconrue and the Maison des Légendes: two fascinating museums in BastogneThese two museums, at the very heart of Bastogne, will reveal the magic of the Ardenne traditions and culture, from the ethnographic heritage to religious craft.
- Le CID au Grand-Hornu | Centre d'Innovation et de Design© SPW - Patrimoine - photo Guy FocantHornu
Le CID au Grand-Hornu | Centre d'Innovation et de DesignTake a former coal mine, get it listed by UNESCO as World Heritage and you get the CID of the Grand Hornu: an innovation and design centre, featuring temporary exhibitions on design, applied art and contemporary art.
- The Domaine des Grottes de Han© Domaine des Grottes de HanHan-sur-Lesse
The Domaine des Grottes de HanCome and explore the world-famous underground caves of Han-sur-Lesse, near Rochefort. The Michelin guide has awarded the site 3 stars in its travel guide fo Wallonia.
- Maison des Géants d'Ath, une visite de taille en Wallonie© ARTHURS H - Fédération du Tourisme de la Province de HainautAth
Maison des Géants d'Ath, une visite de taille en WallonieIn November 2005, UNESCO added to its list of intangible cultural heritage the giants and fantasy figures of 9 Belgian and French cities.
- Château de Jehay | Amay© JP Rolin Province de LiegeAmay
Château de Jehay | AmayLocated in the province of Liège, the Château de Jehay offers a remarkable architecture, unique in Europe. This impressive historical building, surrounded by moats, seems to appear as if by magic as you walk past the forest.
- Abbey de Stavelot: the Guillaume Apollinaire museum© Abbaye de StavelotStavelot
Abbey de Stavelot: the Guillaume Apollinaire museumThe Guillaume Apollinaire museum retraces the stay of the poet in the region.
- Folon Foundation: a museum and exhibitions at the Château de La Hulpe© WBT - J.P. RemyLa Hulpe
Folon Foundation: a museum and exhibitions at the Château de La HulpeBelgian artist Folon presents over 500 art works in the the Castle of La Hulpe's farm, just 20 minutes from Brussels,
- The Musée international du Carnaval et du Masque in Binche© Musée international du Carnaval et du MasqueBinche
The Musée international du Carnaval et du Masque in BincheThe Musée International du Carnaval et du Masque de Binche, at the very heart of a city famous for it Carnival characters (named the Gilles), invites you to discover the region's many festivals and traditions.
- L'Espace Chimay: discover how Trappist beer is made© Espace ChimayBourlers
L'Espace Chimay: discover how Trappist beer is madeL'Espace Chimay, dedicated to Chimay cheese and beer, presents the Chimay Experience, an interactive visit of the brewery. To be consumed with no moderation!
- Préhistomuseum de Ramioul | A journey to Cro-Magnon man's time© PréhistomuseumFlémalle
Préhistomuseum de Ramioul | A journey to Cro-Magnon man's timeImagination is the wonder of children. In Wallonia, they can embody different personas on their travel adventures and transport the adults with them... At Prehistomuseum Adventure Park in Ramioul, you can channel your inner Flintstone as you try your hand at spar throwing or get comfortable in a cave. It's a place to m
- The Spa-Francorchamps racetrack museum (Stavelot abbey)© Abbaye de StavelotStavelot
The Spa-Francorchamps racetrack museum (Stavelot abbey)The museum, located in the Stavelot Abbey’s magnificent vaulted cellars, presents the prestigious history the Spa-Francorchamps racetrack, one of the most beautiful circuit in the world.
- Be an astronaut for the day at the Euro Space Center© Euro Space CenterTransinne
Be an astronaut for the day at the Euro Space CenterIn this amazing centre exploring space, training like an astronaut and floating around using simulators truly is an out of this world experience. This great centre challenges you to learn to live in space and build your own rocket for a galactic mission. Euro Space Center is a planet everyone who dreams of galaxies and
- Maison Léon Losseau: an Art Nouveau gem in Mons© Fondation Losseau - photo WBT - J.P. RemyMons
Maison Léon Losseau: an Art Nouveau gem in MonsPassing through Mons? Be sure to visit the Maison Losseau, a jewel of Art Nouveau architecture located in the heart of the Doudou's city.
- Mundaneum de Mons | Centre d'archives et espace muséal© Mundaneum - Frédéric RaevenMons
Mundaneum de Mons | Centre d'archives et espace muséalThe Mundaneum is an exceptional archive centre and exhibition space in Mons, known to hold 12 million bibliographic records. Le Monde describes it as the Paper Google and the New York Times as The Web Time Forgot.
- Pouhon Pierre le Grand de SPA, Immersia et Joan Mirò© WBT - David SamynSpa
Pouhon Pierre le Grand de SPA, Immersia et Joan MiròThe splendid 1880 Pouhon Pierre le Grand, offers you "Spa Experience" a 360 degree film and a permanent Joan Mirò.art collection.
- The Château de Seneffe, its estate and its Silverware Museum© Domaine de Seneffe asbl - Francis VaubanSeneffe
The Château de Seneffe, its estate and its Silverware MuseumThe Château de Seneffe estate and its Museum feature one of Belgium's most important silverware collections.
- Musée de l'Industrie, Bois du Cazier© WBT - J.P. RemyCharleroi
Musée de l'Industrie, Bois du CazierThe Musée de l'Industrie, in the Bois du Cazier, South of Charleroi, takes you back to the industrial revolution era.
- Liège Aquarium-Museum© Aquarium-Muséum de LiègeLiège
Liège Aquarium-MuseumThe Aquarium-Museum in Liège will take you on a wonderful journey through the animal and aquatic universes, featuring fish from around the world.
- ReGare, Fosse la Ville interpretation centre© Pauline LinardFosses-La-Ville
ReGare, Fosse la Ville interpretation centreReGare, the interpretation centre dedicated to local and regional heritage, unveils all about the folk festivals of Fosses-la-Ville!
- Maison du Parc-Botrange© Parc naturel HF-E ASBLWaimes
Maison du Parc-BotrangeLocated on the highest site of the country, between the Fagnes plain and forest crossed by mountain streams, the Maison du Parc-Botrange welcome visitors in their quest to reconnect with outdoors activities and discover the largest Nature reserve in Belgium.
- The Celtic Museum in Libramont: a fascinating journey through time© Musée des CeltesLibramont
The Celtic Museum in Libramont: a fascinating journey through timeTravel back to a distant past, to Celtic time. The Musée des Celtes de Libramont will teach you about their daily life, beliefs and society structure through the rich archaeological heritage they left behind: dishes, tools, jewels... Conclude your journey with a didactic walk through the Bonance forest reserve.
- The Musée de la Boverie: fine arts and exhibitions in Liège© WBT - Denis ErroyauxLiège
The Musée de la Boverie: fine arts and exhibitions in LiègeVisit La Boverie, an iconic cultural site in Liège: both an art museum and an international exhibition space.
- The Domaine de Palogne, a leisure centre along the Ourthe© Domaine de PalogneVieuxville
The Domaine de Palogne, a leisure centre along the OurtheThe Domaine de Palogne invites you to discover its enchanting setting where nature, history and relaxation meet.
- Notre-Dame d'Orval Abbey: a religious and gourmet visit© OrvalVillers-devant-Orval
Notre-Dame d'Orval Abbey: a religious and gourmet visitFounded in 1132, Notre-Dame of Orval is one of the most remarkable Cistercian abbeys in Belgium. This historical location is still home to a bustling community of monks and even... a Trappist brewery.
- The Glass Museum at the Bois du Cazier© Ville de CharleroiMarcinelle
The Glass Museum at the Bois du CazierThe Glass Museum, at the Bois du Cazier in Marcinelle, retraces five thousand years of art, history and technology.
- Musée des Transports en commun de Wallonie (Liège)© Patrick ChristodouleasLiège
Musée des Transports en commun de Wallonie (Liège)Liège's Public Transport Museum invites you to (re)discover the vehicles of the past. A real journey through time!
- The school of yesteryear | Espace Arthur Masson (Treignes)© FT Province de NamurTreignes
The school of yesteryear | Espace Arthur Masson (Treignes)The Espace Arthur Masson, dedicated to the Belgian writer Arthur Masson, proposes an original visit in the heart of the superb Viroin valley in Belgium
- SILEX'S Mons: the Neolithic flint mines of Spiennes© Ville de Mons - Serge BrisonSpiennes
SILEX'S Mons: the Neolithic flint mines of SpiennesJust 6 km from Mons, the Neolithic flint mines of Spiennes or SILEX'S, listed by UNESCO, are well worth a visit...
- The Musée de la Vie wallonne (Liège), a museum dedicated to life as it used to be in Wallonia© WBT - J.P. RemyLiège
The Musée de la Vie wallonne (Liège), a museum dedicated to life as it used to be in WalloniaThe Musée de la vie wallonne, in the heart of Liège, presents the history and lives of Wallonia from the 19th century to the present days.
- BPS22, one of the largest art museums in Wallonia© WBT - Denis ErroyauxCharleroi
BPS22, one of the largest art museums in WalloniaThe BPS22, one of the largest art museums in Wallonia, stands out with its stunning architecture: an industrial glass and iron casing, built in 1911. Its fascinating program of exhibitions and activities make it an iconic stop for all culture lovers in Charleroi.
- Musée de la Vie rurale à Huissignies© WBT - Olivier LegardienHuissignies
Musée de la Vie rurale à HuissigniesIn this museum, located in the province of Hainaut, time seems to have stopped.